CHURCH OF ST MARTIN

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1359965
Date first listed:
09-Sep-1967
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARTIN, CHURCH LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARTIN
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1359965 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Sep-2019 at 14:03:49.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARTIN, CHURCH LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Lincolnshire
District:
East Lindsey (District Authority)
Parish:
Waithe
National Grid Reference:
TA 28375 00705

Details

TA 20 SE WAITHE CHURCH LANE

1/62 Church of St. Martin 9.9.67 G.V. I

Parish church. C10, C11, C13, restored 1861 by James Fowler of Louth, in Early English Style. Coursed limestone rubble with tiled and slate roofs having decorative ridge tiles. Nave, aisles, central tower, small south transept and apsidal chancel. West wall has 4 lancets and a vesica shaped window. The north aisle wall has 2 lancets, and a similar window in the east end. The 3 stage tower is unusually built of coursed large pebbles to a point about 5'0" below the plain offset to belfry stage. As the paired belfry lights are of C11 character this shows that the tower base must be Saxon. The north wall of the tower has a C19 lancet to ground stage, the cill of which is C13. Above is a C19 cinquefoil light, and to belfry stage paired lights with mid wall shafts having cushion capitals, above is a plain parapet. The apsidal chancel in square limestone is buttressed with moulded plinth, string course and decorative eaves. There are 5 lancets in the chancel. The scar of the earlier chancel roof is visible on the east side of the tower. The south transept has a lancet to the east wall and gabled buttresses to south east angle. The south door has a richly moulded head and angle shafts with floriate capitals, moulded hood with leaf tops. Above is an enriched lancet with moulded head and hood. The south aisle has 2 lancets to the south wall. Interior. The 2 bay nave arcades are basically of the early C13, having on the north side slightly keeled quatrefoil clustered piers with annular abaci, double chamfered arches and C19 moulded hood and stops, and in the south side are clustered circular piers with quatrefoil hobnail abaci, double chamfered arches and octagonal responds. The aisle and nave walls are of banded red facing brick and ashlar with chamfered polychromatic rear arches to the windows. At the top of the wall are continuously tiled texts. The round headed tower arches are plastered and entirely plain. In the south wall of the tower is a white marble plaque recording the restoration of the church in 1861 by George Henry Haigh, Esq. This is a recessed panel with marble side shafts supporting a tympanum bearing the Haigh arms. The chancel has blank arcading round the walls in a C13 style, it springs from a chamfered string course with marble shafts and limestone arches having annular decorated capitals. Below the string course the walls are lined with impressed glazed tiles and above are fine red facing bricks with tiled borders and flush white marble lozenges, some of which are inscribed to members of the Haigh family. The chancel and sanctuary have richly tiled floors and the reredos is elaborately tiled. All fittings are from 1861 including the drum font lightly carved in semblance of C12 work. The rounded ashlar pulpit has paired black marble collar shafts and foliate decoration. Underneath the chancel is the Haigh family mausoleum.

Listing NGR: TA2837100706

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
195369
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 24 Aug 2000
Reference: IOE01/02933/08
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr David March. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].