CHURCH OF ST. MARY

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1359994

Date first listed: 31-May-1966

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST. MARY, CHURCH ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST. MARY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1359994 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Nov-2018 at 23:49:38.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST. MARY, CHURCH ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Lincolnshire

District: East Lindsey (District Authority)

Parish: Mablethorpe and Sutton

National Grid Reference: TF 49780 84539

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TF 48 SE MABLETHORPE AND SUTTON CHURCH ROAD (south side) 5/15 Church of St. Mary 31.5.66 G.V. II Parish church. c.1300, C13, 1714, C19, extensively rebuilt 1976- 80 by G.R.A. Mack of Louth. Random mixed rubble, red brick, slate roofs. Western tower, nave, aisles, both widened in C20, chancel and vestry. Tower of 2 stages, the lower part in stone, the upper in brick, with diagonal stepped brick buttresses, offset to belfry stage and battlemented parapet. Paired C17 rectangular lights to belfry stage. At base of the tower on south side is a C20 lean-to brick addition. The west aisle is in C20 brick with reused C19 stonework details. In the west wall a 2 light window and to the north 2 similar and 1 triple window, with a wide doorway having panel tracery above taken from Manby Church. C20 vestry. The chancel is in banded stone and brick and has a C19 3 light east window. In the south wall a late C13 window of 2 trefoil headed ights. The south aisle has also been rebuilt but reusing C18 bricks, and incorporates 4 C19 2 light windows. Interior. Double chamfered tower arch with octagonal imposts. 4 bay nave arcades, c.1300, octagonal piers and capitals, surmounted by C20 timber arcades. Double chamfered C19 chancel arch with moulded octagonal imposts. In chancel a C19 arch for the organ loft and a C14 triple sedilia on south side. On the north side an opening to the vestry. Fittings. Fine set of turned baluster altar rails with knops, and inscription on top rail including date 1714. All other fittings are C20. The c.1400 octagonal font has a panelled stem and cusped ogee panel tracery to the sides. Monuments. At the west end of the north aisle a limestone ledger slab with a full length figure in low relief and a black letter inscription to the margin. At the east end of the north aisle a slab to Sir Thomas Fitzwilliam d.1403 with brass inscription plate and seatings for 4 shields. At east end of south aisle is a similar monument to his wife Elizabeth, d.1403. In the chancel, above the north door a small brass to Elizabeth Fitzwilliam d.1522; full length portrait. A large slab to George Fitzwilliam d.l536 and a dresser tomb in freestone probably to Thomas Fitzwilliam d.1494, with quatrefoils to the base, panelled 4 centred arch and quatrefoil parapet.

Listing NGR: TF4978084539

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 195620

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing