Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1360095.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 28-Feb-2021 at 01:53:36.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

South Kesteven (District Authority)
Castle Bytham
National Grid Reference:
SK 98862 18348



16/50 Church of St. James


G.V. I

Parish church. Late C12, C13, C14, C15, C17, 1774, C19, c.1900. Squared and coursed limestone rubble, slate and lead roofs. Western tower, nave and clerestory, aisles, north porch, transepts, chancel. 3 stage early C13 tower has plinth, chamfered string courses, embattled parapet with cusped lozenge frieze and gargoyles. Belfry stage has paired pointed lights with round headed shafted surround. On the south side a large octagonal sundial dated 1774. In the west wall a blocked narrow opening and a lancet to each stage and a blank circular opening with octagonal ashlar surround. On the north face an octagonal clock. In the north aisle 2 early C14 3 light windows, cusped Y tracery, and a similar 2 light window to the north. Long early C13 gabled north porch, with engaged triple shafts to the reveals, moulded capitals and double chamfered arch, human head label stops to hood. Side benches. C14 continuously moulded inner doorway. C14 clerestory of 3 two light windows, rounded heads to the lights, sunk spandrels, hood moulds, ballflower eaves frieze. North transept north window, late C13 of 3 lights, plate tracery with sunk trefoils and quatrefoils. In the east wall a C19 lancet. C14 chancel with continuously moulded pointed doorway and 2 two light curvilinear traceried windows with mouchettes. Late C13 east window of 3 lights with roll moulded mullions and surround with deeply sunk roundels and quatrefoil to the head. To south side, 3 windows match those to the north. C13 south transept, a lancet to the east and 3 stepped lancets to the south under single chamfered arch. No clerestory to south side, but 2 two light windows with mouchettes and continuously moulded doorway. Interior. Late C12 3 bay north arcade, circular responds but octagonal piers, waterleaf and facetted capitals, double chamfered round arches. Early C13 tower arch, circular responds, facetted capitals, double chamfered arches. Above, a small C12 round headed window with a blocked opening to the right and evidence of another opening to the left. A further late C12 archway to the south transept has octagonal responds and double chamfered round arches. In the east wall of the north transept a C13 piscina. Double chamfered C13 chancel arch with to left a blank arch, a former squint, now with C19 carved rear panel and to right a 4 centred C15 doorway to rood loft. Nave roof appears to be C14 with moulded tie beams on wall posts with simple corbels. In the chancel a C14 piscina with hacked back cusps and a c.l900 carved wooden reredos. On the north wall a C14 Easter Sepulchre with bold hollow cusped and crocketed ogee arched canopy with pinnacles and ball flowers. Above a ledge having panelled front with blank cusped ogee arches, crockets and pinnacles. Fittings. Early C17 octagonal font with panelled sides containing abstract decoration, a stepped cross and the Sacred Monogram. In the nave a fine brass candelabrum dated 1816. Otherwise fittings are C19 and c.1900. C19 stained glass, and a ladder at the west end of the nave made from the village maypole of 1660. C10 Saxon cross shaft with cable moulded angles, floral decoration to the sides and interlace to the panels. Monuments. In the north transept a stone wall plaque in the form of an obelisk with palms to William Exton, d,1789, by Gilbert of Stamford. In south wall of nave a further obelisk wall plaque with draped urn to John Coverley d.1787, and in the chancel 3 matching round headed plaques to members of the Hopkinson family, 1793, 1810, 1825.

Listing NGR: SK9885818348


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 17 May 2007
Reference: IOE01/15944/17
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Peter D. Dewar. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].