CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1360127
Date first listed:
30-Oct-1968
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS, CHURCH LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1360127 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Sep-2019 at 08:19:48.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS, CHURCH LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Lincolnshire
District:
South Kesteven (District Authority)
Parish:
Swayfield
National Grid Reference:
SK 99324 22644

Details

SWAYFIELD CHURCH LANE SK 92 SE

5/198 Church of St. 30.10.68 Nicholas

II*

Parish church. C12, C13, late C17, nave and chancel rebuilt 1875-8 by F. Goddard. Squared limestone rubble, ashlar quoins and dressings, stone coped Collyweston slate roofs. Western tower, nave, chancel, north aisle. The C13 3 stage tower has clasping buttresses to lower stages and plinth, a chamfered string course and battlemented parapet. The twin pointed bell openings to each face are separated by octagonal moulded shaft and set in a single chamfered surround with hood mould. In the tympanum a carved floriated trefoil. In the south side ground stage is a late C17 rectangular light in chamfered surround with hood mould. To second stage a Y traceried window with moulded circular central shaft and rectangular hood over. The west doorway is pointed with double chamfered arches and hood mould, with octagonal responds and imposts. The upper stages are as the south, the belfry light having a more ornate capital to the central shaft and human heads to the hood. The north side is as the south, the second stage window has nail head decoration and the belfry light has a plain tympanum. The C19 north aisle has 3 pairs of lights with trefoil heads, divided into bays by stepped buttresses. The vestry has a pair of short trefoil headed lights, to the north and a similar taller pair plus pointed doorway to the west. The chancel has a single pointed trefoil headed light with trefoil over, and a similar further window to the south. The east window is of 3 lights with Geometrical tracery and there is a further similar 2 light window to the south chancel wall, repeated 3 times in the nave south wall. Interior. The 3 bay C19 north arcade has pointed double chamfered arches, circular piers and abaci. The chancel arch is pointed and double chamfered, set on squat semi-circular responds with large late C12 imposts. That on the south side is scalloped and reset, the north side is fluted and possibly in situ. In the north wall of the chancel a C19 pointed doorway to the vestry. All fittings are C19 except the font, a C12 circular bowl set on a moulded octagonal base. Monuments. In the west wall of the nave a stone wall plaque to Richard Wing, d.1775, a further plaque to Thomas Gibson, d.1806 and in the aisle west wall a stone plaque with fluted pilasters and pediment to members of the Wilcox family, early C18.

Listing NGR: SK9932422644

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
194172
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 19 Oct 1999
Reference: IOE01/01123/13
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr David H Schofield. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].