CHURCH OF ST. MARY

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1360128
Date first listed:
30-Oct-1968
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST. MARY, CREETON ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST. MARY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1360128.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Oct-2019 at 00:07:51.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST. MARY, CREETON ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Lincolnshire
District:
South Kesteven (District Authority)
Parish:
Swinstead
National Grid Reference:
TF 01860 22454

Details

SWINSTEAD CREETON ROAD TF 0022-0122 (east side)

15/213

30.10.68 Church of St. Mary

G.V. I

Parish church. c.1200, C13, C14, 1798, 1854 and 1859 restorations. Coursed limestone rubble, ashlar, lead and slate roofs. West tower, nave plus clerestory, aisles, chancel, south porch, vault and boiler house. C13 2 stage tower having corner buttresses, string course, embattled parapet with pinnacles and gargoyles. In the belfry stage are paired pointed lights in chamfered surrounds. In the lower stage are single lancets. C19 2 light west window and in the north aisle a C13 trefoil. C14 north aisle with stepped buttresses and plain parapet having contemporary moulded door, a pair of 2 light windows, a 3 light window, all with cusped ogee heads and moulded surrounds. Clerestory with 4 circular lights having cusped mouchettes. C14 chancel restored 1859 with blocked ogee headed doorway and a pair of single chamfered 2 light windows, cusped ogee heads and triskeles. Fine 4 light east window with cusped curvilinear tracery. The single southern 2 light window matches those to the north. 1789 vault and boiler room. In the south aisle a small rectangular fixed light and a 4 light C14 window with quatrefoils and in the west wall a further 4 light window with reticulated tracery. C19 ashlar gabled porch having pointed continuously chamfered outer arch, side benches and a C14 wave moulded inner doorway. Interior. c.1200 north nave arcade of 3 bays, circular piers and responds, annular capitals and double chamfered rounded arches. C14 south arcade, octagonal piers and responds, double chamfered arches. C14 double chamfered tower arch dying into the reveals. In the south aisle a C14 piscina with chamfered square surround and a plain squint in the east wall. There is a further squint in the north aisle and in the north wall a C14 statue bracket. Early C13 chancel arch, circular reveals, moulded annular capitals, double chamfered arch. In the south wall of the chancel a reset c.1200 double chamfered arch having circular reveals and capitals with hobnail decoration, also a C14 recut triple sedilia with ogee heads and human head stops with beyond a matching double piscina. On the eastern pier of the north nave arcade are rare armorial paintings of c.1300 in red paint depicting coats of arms of the benefactors of the church. All fittings are C19 including the early C14 style font. Monuments. At the west end of the nave a C13 recumbent effigy of a knight, cross legged wearing chain mail and a surcoat. On north wall of chancel a handsome white marble wall tablet in Grecian style to Brownlow Bertie, 5th Duke of Ancaster, d.1809 by Westmacott. Depicting deceased and wife on a catafalque with mourning female figure,flankedby mother, children and angel. Above a scrolled cornice with Ducal coronet and palm. Beneath a rectangular inscription panel, flanked by scrolled brackets. Also an elaborate Gothic aedicule of limestone to Priscilla Bertie, Baronness Willoughby d'Eresby, died 1828 but erected 1883 on the death of her daughter, by Forsyth. Above the recessed inscription an achievement of arms of the Bertie's. The vault of 1798 contains 5 fine coffins of members of the Ancaster/Willoughby de Eresby family. There is no access into the vault from within or outside the church. Source: report by P. B. Grimes and Rev. N. O'Connor following inspection of vault having entered through roof.

Listing NGR: TF0185822455

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
194187
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 18 Oct 1999
Reference: IOE01/01123/01
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr David H Schofield. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].