Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1360151.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 03-Mar-2021 at 12:15:17.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

South Kesteven (District Authority)
Braceborough and Wilsthorpe
National Grid Reference:
TF 08250 13297



5/43 Church of 30.10.68 St. Margaret

G.V. I

Parish church. C14, C15, 1662 porch, C18 alterations, 1859 chancel rebuilt and church restored by Mr. Kirk of Sleaford. Coursed and squared limestone rubble. Western tower, nave, chancel, south porch. C14 2 stage tower with broach spire having single tier of lucarnes in principal directions. Clasping buttresses, chamfered string courses and in the belfry stage 2 light openings with cusped ogee heads. In the lower stage a similar window with hood mould and large lion stops. In the north wall of the nave are 2 C15 3 light windows with panel tracery to the heads. Beyond is a C19 pent roofed vestry with a pair of trefoil lancets. C19 facetted chancel with slate roof with 2 light windows in C13 style. The chancel is dated 1859 on the south side. In the south wall of the nave are 3 further C15 windows and a contemporary 4 centred arched doorway. Also a 3 light C14 reticulated window. Gabled south porch, dated 1662 with double chamfered reset C14 arch. Side benches. The C15 inner door has 4 centred arched head with moulded surround, chamfered hood with lion stops. Above is a contemporary statue bracket with lion's head to the base. Interior. The C15 continuously moulded double chamfered arch is 4 centred, to either side are matching single chamfered half arches, and in the side walls are further full height arched openings, also double chamfered. This suggests the former existence of aisles and an elaborate west end, possibly with subsidiary chapels. When the west end was reduced, probably C18, narrow pointed arches with plain imposts were built in the blockings of the earlier larger openings. In the north wall of the nave is a small C15 continuously moulded door and in the south wall a cusped ogee headed piscina. 1859 chancel arch has shafted reveals and wave moulded head. The eastern part of the chancel has relief glazed tiles. Stained glass by Kempe. Fittings are all C19 apart from the recut square C13 font, now with C17 chevrons, loops and lozenges. East wall of the nave are 2 C19 ashlar texts with moulded surrounds, ogee heads and embattled tops. There is a larger similar panel behind the font. In the inner porch above the south tower arch a painted panel of the Royal Arms of Charles II. Monuments. In the tower the C14 matrix of a brass to Thomas de Wasteneys. On the south wall of the nave an oval marble wall plaque to Ann Bowman, d.1814, a draped urn to Gilbert of Stamford. Also a second oval plaque to Titus Livie, d.1804. Store-keeper of naval dockyard, Halifax, Nova Scotia, a fluted urn with drooping palm.

Listing NGR: TF0824913296


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 14 Jun 2004
Reference: IOE01/12420/20
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Peter D. Dewar. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].