Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1360195.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 03-Mar-2021 at 11:41:31.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

South Kesteven (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
TF 09137 07859



9/191 Church of 30.10.68 St. Lawrence

G.V. I

Parish church. Mid C12, early C13, late C13, C14, C15, spire destroyed 1762, restored 1879. Coursed and squared limestone rubble, ashlar quoins and dressings. Copper, lead and Collyweston slate roofs. Western tower, clerestoried nave, south and north transept, aisles, south porch, chancel. 3 stage C14 tower with clasping angle buttresses, chamfered bell moulded plinth, string courses and battlemented parapets with angle grotesques. The tower is slightly offset to the north. The belfry stage has paired C14 ogee headed lights with trefoil heads and quatrefoil over. In the west wall is a 2 light similar window with hood mould and lion terminals. In the north tower wall is a trefoil headed louvred light. Nave and aisle roofs are roofed in copper. In the west wall of the north aisle is a 2 light C14 window with ogee heads and flat arch. In the north wall is a similar 3 light window and a blocked pointed doorway. The clerestorey is C14 with 2 pairs of small cusped lights. At the east gable of the nave is a C15 single gabled sanctus bellcote. The north transpet has a 3 light C15 window with panel tracery and hood mould. The north wall of the chancel has a blank projection. The east window is C15 of 5 slender lights, with panel tracery, 4 centred arched surround with lion head stops. In the south wall is a segmental headed doorway, a trefoiled low side window and 2 three light windows, one with early C14 cusped lancets, the other with C15 cusped heads. The south transept has a C13 lancet, possibly reset, in the east, and a C14 3 light window with daggers to the head. In the walling are lengths of free stone banding. The clerestory matches that to the north and in the south aisle is a C15 3 light window with cusped heads. On a south aisle south west quoin is an inscription "James Briggs Guardian 1677". The gabled C14 south porch with Collyweston slate roof has a double chamfered outer arch and octagonal reveals. The inenr door is mid C12 with side shafts, cushion capitals, plain tympanum and an arch with an order of chevron, roll moulding and crosses saltire to the hood. The shaft bases also have chevron ornament. The early door has overlapping planks with ledges to rear. Interior. On the north side is a 2 bay early C13 arcade with circular pier, responds and abaci with double chamfered arches. Eastwards ia later C13 double chamfered arch with octagonal responds to the transept which balances a similar one to the south. Also in the south is a triple shafted C13 double chamfered arch to the aisle. Offset C14 continuously moulded tall tower arch of 3 waved orders. In the south aisle is a piscina in square surround and in the east wall a single chamfered pointed arch on corbels. In the south transept is a triangular headed aumbry and in the east wall is a mutilated and blocked C12 arch. The late C13 chancel arch has octagonal responds and a double chamfered arch with above a C19 tiled text. In the chancel north wall is a late C13 double chamfered arch with octagonal east respond and beyond a triangular headed aumbry. In the south wall is an early C13 piscina with stiff leaf shafted reveals. Statue brackets to the east wall. C19 tiled floor. The internal walls which are unplastered show extensive signs of earlier phases and modifications. Fittings. Are all C19 including panelled ashlar pulpit with cusped arches. C15 tower screen, reset in 1879 with central ogee arch and panelled ogee tracery. Plain octagonal C13 font on 4 short octagonal legs with narrow chamfered stem having fine conical cover with C14 crockets, pinnacles and central knop.

Listing NGR: TF0913707859


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Reference: IOE01/12909/01
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Brian Harris. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].