CHAPEL AND ATTACHED SCHOOL

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1360209

Date first listed: 23-Aug-1967

Date of most recent amendment: 02-Jul-1991

Statutory Address: CHAPEL AND ATTACHED SCHOOL, POTTERHANWORTH ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHAPEL AND ATTACHED SCHOOL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1360209 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 14-Nov-2018 at 15:32:56.

Location

Statutory Address: CHAPEL AND ATTACHED SCHOOL, POTTERHANWORTH ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Lincolnshire

District: North Kesteven (District Authority)

Parish: Heighington

National Grid Reference: TF 03005 69413

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

HEIGHINGTON POTTERHANWORTH ROAD TF 0270-0370 (west side) TF 0269-0369 10/50 - 11/50 Chapel and attached school (formerly listed 23.8.67 as Parish Church - no dedication)

GV II

Former parish church, now chapel of ease and attached school rooms. C12, 1619 restored and extended 1865 by Michael Drury. medieval west tower with single cell nave and chancel, plus attached school rooms to the north. Coursed limestone rubble with ashlar dressings and slate roofs with coped gables and moulded kneelers. Quoins, chamfered plinth and eaves band. Square west lower with corner buttresses, has blank lower 2 stages with above a pair of pointed bell openings within a single chamfered arch to each face. Topped by a parapet pierced with quatrefoils, and with a single ornate corner pinnacle, plus a pyramidal slate roof with iron weathervane. Nave, south front, has to the left a slightly projecting gabled porch, with deeply moulded pointed arch and double plank doors with ornte iron hinges. To the right 3, 3-light geometrical tracery windows in moulded and chamfered pointed arches with hood moulds. The east gable wall has a single, large 4-light geometrical tracery window also in a moulded and chamfered pointed arch with hoodmould. To the right the school with a projecting gabled porch, with a large plank door in chamfered ashlar surround to the south, and a pair of windows in the east gable wall. To the right a 2-light geometrical tracery window in a chamfered pointed arch and beyond 2 lancets all with hoodmoulds. Interior has a late Normal tower arch with water leaf capitals, plus C19 pews, pulpit altar rail and oil lamps. This parish church fell into decay and was restored in 1619 at the expense of Thomas Garrett one of the Fen Drainage Adventurers, unfortunately none of this work survived the subsequent C19 restoration programme.

Listing NGR: TF0300569413

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 192822

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing