CHURCH OF ST MARY

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1360517
Date first listed:
26-Jan-1967
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY, STATION ROAD

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1360517.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 14-Jun-2021 at 00:41:27.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY, STATION ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Lincolnshire
District:
Boston (District Authority)
Parish:
Sutterton
National Grid Reference:
TF 28492 35558

Details

TF 23 NE SUTTERTON STATION ROAD (east side)

8/66 Church of St. Mary 26.1.67 G.V. I

Parish church. Late C12, C13, late C13, C14, C15, 1602, 1787 spire rebuilt, and tower, spire, aisles and south transept remodelled by Edward Browning 1861-3. Squared limestone rubble, ashlar, slate and lead roofs. Crossing tower, nave with clerestory, aisles, transepts, chancel. 5 light west window with segmental head and outlandish reticulated tracery. In the gable parapet above the date 1602 and initials BW and WF. The west end of the aisles have 3 light late C13 intersecting traceried windows. North aisle with plain parapet has 4 three light C14 reticulated windows with rectangular surrounds. Late C12 doorway with shafted reveals, roll moulding, chevrons and interlaced hood. 5 two light C14 clerestory windows. North transept has large 6 light C15 panel traceried north window. 2 paired C13 clerestory lights, chamfered with engaged shafts. Late C13 plate traceried 2 light window to eastern chapel. Ashlar crossing tower with clasping buttresses, embattled parapet, set back spire, richly crocketed with 3 tiers of alternating lucarnes. In the belfry stage are large 2 light Cl9 reticulated openings. On the transept east side a matching clerestory and to the chapel a lancet and a triple plate traceried C13 window. Chancel north wall has 2 pairs of reset C13 lancets with engaged shafts. C19 stepped lancets to east wall. The south chancel wall matches the north with a single chamfered door. South transept and chapel rebuilt C19 with 4 lancets and sexfoil window. In the south aisle wall are recut C14 2 and 3 light windows with reticulated tracery. Cl9 south porch with Romanesque style outer arch, clustered shafts and moulded head. Clerestory matches north and has dated rainwater heads of 1789. Inner south doorway is late C12 with triple shafted reveals, foliate capitals, 2 orders of delicate roll moulding, an order of ring chain and a chevron moulded hood. Interior. Late C12 5 bay nave arcades with circular piers, square abaci with nicked out corners, carved capitals with unusual mixture of stiff leaf, interlace and animals, double chamfered arches, hood moulds, one with chevron moulding. c.1200 western crossing arch with paired shafted reveals, scalloped capitals and 2 pointed orders of chevron moulding. At the east end of the south aisle a C14 cusped niche. Transept arches at east ends of aisles are double chamfered on circular corbels. The other 3 crossing arches match the western one, but are plain double chamfers. One trefoil headed niche and ogee canopy on south side. North transept has shafted reveals to clerestory rear arches. Wide double chamfered arch to former transept chapel, now vestry, on east side. South transept has matching double chamfered arch. Chancel largely rebuilt in Cl9, reusing C13 windows, has double piscina and tomb recess and on the north side a double chamfered arch with one shafted reveal. Fittings. Chancel walls freely tiled in C19, elaborate mosaic and tiled reredos. C19 octagonal ashlar font, carved side panels, clustered marble shafts to base. Monuments in south transept. 3 C14 effigies to a lady, a civilian and a priest with chalice. All recumbent, carved in low relief, with black letter inscriptions. In south aisle a limestone wall slab, eared and shouldered egg and dart surround to inscription panel to Beaumont Leeson d.1750.

Listing NGR: TF2849535558

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
192119
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 29 Aug 1999
Reference: IOE01/00511/14
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr John Scarbro. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].