CHURCH OF SAINT MARY

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1360553
Date first listed:
23-Aug-1967
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF SAINT MARY, CHURCH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF SAINT MARY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1360553 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Sep-2019 at 00:09:38.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF SAINT MARY, CHURCH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Lincolnshire
District:
North Kesteven (District Authority)
Parish:
Carlton-le-Moorland
National Grid Reference:
SK 90809 57895

Details

CARLTON-LE-MOORLAND CHURCH STREET SK 95 NW 4/63 Church of St Mary 23.8.67 GV I Parish church. C11, C13, C15, late C16 restored 1890-1 by C Hodgson Fowler. West tower, nave, chancel and north chapel now vestry. Nave rebuilt and tower remodelled late C16. Coursed rubble and ashlar dressings with lead and plain tile roofs. Tower, 3 stages with moulded plinth and first floor band. Angle buttresses with set-offs topped with battlements and 4 crocketed pinnacles. To west a 4-centred arched, moulded doorway with fine studded and panelled door, above a hood mould and a relieving arch with shale voussoirs. Above a 2-light chamfered, mullion window with drip mould and a similar window to the south. Above 4 similar bell openings. Nave, north wall has 2 large 3-light C16 chamfered cross windows with drip moulds, and a single buttress with set-offs between. Above battlements with a small ogee arched, gabled bellcote. North chapel, west wall has blocked north aisle arch, with 4 centred arched doorway under hood mould and 2-light chamfered mullion window above. North and east walls have single 3-light flat headed panel tracery windows under hood moulds. Chancel, north wall has a single similar 2-light window. East wall has coped gable with kneelers and cross finial, with a large pointed arched, 3-light panel tracery window. South wall, has small doorway and 2, 2-light panel tracery windows with flat heads and hood moulds. The nave south wall is identical to the north. Interior has C16 staircase in tower leading to first floor chamber, once the entrance to the now vanished C16 gallery, reached through a C11 round headed doorway with C16 doors. Tower also houses Charity Boards of 1707. Very tall C13 chancel arch, with to north fragmentary remains of original arcade and chapel arch. Chapel also has C13 keeled arch to chancel. C12 circular font with octagonal corner shafts. Nave has largely C16 roof, chancel has C19 roof. C15 screen, much restored. C18 wooden pulpit and altar rail. C19 pews. Monuments, 1611 brass wall plate W Robert Peterson. 5 small brass wall plates to Eastland and Tonge families dated individually, 1712, 1725, 1739, 1764 and 1765.

Listing NGR: SK9081057898

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
192415
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 31 May 2002
Reference: IOE01/06386/03
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr David Brown. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].