CHURCH OF ST ANDREW
- Heritage Category:
- Listed Building
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ST ANDREW, CHURCH LANE
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1360562.pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 27-Feb-2020 at 02:45:09.
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ST ANDREW, CHURCH LANE
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- North Kesteven (District Authority)
- Ewerby and Evedon
- National Grid Reference:
- TF 12166 47278
EWERBY AND EVEDON CHURCH LANE
TF 14 NW
3/19 Church of
Parish church. C12, C14, C15, 1702, spire repaired 1810 and 1908, restored and vestry added 1890-5. Limestone ashlar, some coursed rubble, Collyweston slate and lead roofs. West tower and spire, nave, chancel, north and south aisles, north chapel, vestry and south porch. Tall 3 stage C14 tower with moulded plinth, chamfered string courses and stepped gabled setback buttresses. Carved and hollow moulded eaves course to broach spire which has 3 tiers of lucarnes in alternating directions, the lowest tier with paired shafted openings, all gabled. The belfry stage has tall paired louvred lights with deeply shafted and moulded pointed surrounds, bold flowing tracery to the heads. In the middle stage are plain rectangular lights and to the west only on the lowest stage is a 2 light window with curvilinear tracery forming mouchettes with a quatrefoil over. In the west ends of the aisles are single simpler matching 2 light windows. North aisle has a moulded plinth, stepped buttresses and a lead roof. It contains a continuously moulded doorway with hood and human head stops with beyond a 3 light window having curvilinear tracery forming cusped mouchettes and a quatrefoil. The north chapel is of rubble with ashlar dressings and a slate roof. A blocked door is covered by an added buttress. To either side are single tall 2 light windows with Y tracery and cusped heads in chamfered surrounds. To the east is a tall 3. light window with cusped intersecting tracery and a chamfered pointed surround. On the north side of the chancel is a low C19 boiler house. Tall 4 light east window with fine flowing tracery, elegantly cusped, with daggers and quatrefoil. In the south wall of the chancel are 3 three light reticulated traceried windows with pointed hollow chamfered surrounds, also a small priest's door with simple chamfered surround and pointed head. The south aisle has 3 light windows matching those in the chancel, one to the east and 3 to the south. The gabled south porch has an elaborately cusped and decorated outer arch with some seaweed carving and naturalistic leaves. Shafted and hollow moulded reveals to moulded head set in a triangular frame with floriate terminal. The inner doorway is more restrained with a continuously wave moulded surround and human head stops. Interior: tall 3 bay nave arcades, filleted quatrefoil piers with annular capitals, double chamfered arches and hollow moulded hoods. The arch braced roof is C19. The tower base has a massive triple chamfered arch to the nave with engaged shafted reveals and annular imposts. Above is a 4 centred arched doorway. In the sides of the tower are matching triple chamfered arches. In the south aisle is a piscina in a plain square surround. In the north chapel is trefoil headed piscina in the east wall and a C18 wooden cupboard in the south wall. The sumptuous chancel is a scaled down version of nearby Heckington. In the north wall a double chamfered arch with annular reveals opens into the north chapel. Further along is the founder's tomb niche, a 4 centred arched doorway and an Easter sepulchre in the form of a triangular headed aumbry with flanking crocketted pinnacles and gablet over. On the south side is a fine triple sedilia with shafted reveals to the compartments, cusped ogee heads and gablets with floriate terminals, beyond is a trefoil headed piscina with matching gablet. Fittings: elaborate C19 reredos to altar with limewood figures of The Sower and The Good Shepherd set in gilded niches. Oak altar rails and gate of turned bobbin type dated 1702. A memorable rood screen, early C14, with wider central opening under a 4 centred arch and 3 flanking panels to either side, each with cusped ogee heads, crockets, trefoiled panels and pointed heads. Only 2 traceried lower panels survive, though traces of red painted decoration can be seen on another; 2 are C18 raised and fielded panel replacements. There is a matching though fragmentary side screen to the north chapel. Contemporary oak pulpit reuses an early C18 cornice. In the south aisle a handsome C16 chest with cambered lid, iron bands, lavish paterae and arcaded chip carving. C14 octagonal tub font, to the sides are blind panels of reticulated tracery and fleurons. The whole stands on a base formed from a massive section of early C12 shaft, perhaps the base of an earlier font, which is enriched with pelleted intersecting arcades. The 4 oak choir benches and prayer desk are contemporary, with moulded muntins and fleur de lys ends. The aisle windows were painted by W. F. Dixon of London in 1883. Monuments; in the north chapel a C14 tomb niche with elaborately moulded head and gablet containing a jousting helm and blank shield. In the recess an elevated carving of a recumbent knight in plate armour with surcoat, feet resting on a lion, pot helmet, hands and sword missing, though the sword belt bears a lion buckle. Also in the north aisle a limestone wall monument to Henry Pell, d.1667, a square tablet with advanced Composite columns supporting an entablature bearing a pair of obelisks, the whole resting on scrolled console brackets. In the chancel the early C14 founder's tomb recess has a continuously moulded arched head, pinnacles and gablet. It now contains an effigy to the 12th Earl of Winchelsea, d.1898, clad in state robes. Also in the chancel are various rectangular brass panels with raised letter inscriptions to members of the Finch Hatton family, Earls of Winchelsea and Nottingham, and a white marble wall tablet to George William, l0th Earl, d.1858.
Listing NGR: TF1216347277
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing