PARISH CHURCH OF ST PETER

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1360606
Date first listed:
01-Feb-1967
Statutory Address:
PARISH CHURCH OF ST PETER, CHURCH LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of PARISH CHURCH OF ST PETER
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1360606.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Feb-2020 at 17:29:08.

Location

Statutory Address:
PARISH CHURCH OF ST PETER, CHURCH LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Lincolnshire
District:
North Kesteven (District Authority)
Parish:
North Rauceby
National Grid Reference:
TF 02116 46448

Details

TF 04 NW NORTH RAUCEBY CHURCH LANE (North side)

2/56 Parish Church of 1.2.67 St. Peter

G.V. I

Parish church. C12, C13, C14, C15, Chancel rebuilt by S.S. Teulon in 1853. Coursed limestone rubble and ashlar, decorative plain tiled and lead roofs. West tower and spire, clerestoried nave, north and south aisles, south porch, chancel and vestry. Coursed rubble to the lower stages of the 3 stage west tower, which has a roll moulded plinth, facetted string courses and stepped set back buttresses. Broach spire with 4 paired gabled lancets to the base with dog tooth surrounds and 2 tiers of lucarnes above in alternating directions. In the belfry stage are tall 2 light louvered openings with clustered midwall shafts and reveals, pointed heads to the lights and round headed moulded and keeled surrounds flanked by blank pointed panels with side shafts. In the middle stage are single lancets to the side walls. To the west is a 2 light C14 window with simple flowing tracery in a moulded and pointed surround. In the west end of the south aisle is a 2 light C13 window with trefoil heads to the lights, a trilobe and a chamfered pointed surround. In the west wall of [the north aisle is a 2 light C19 window with cusped -tracery. The north aisle has a small plain round headed doorway and 2 C14 3 light windows with reticulated tracery and wave moulded pointed surrounds, also a pointed and chamfered doorway. The C15 clerestorey has 5 broad 3 light windows with cusped heads to the lights and chamfered triangular surrounds. In the east wall is a C14 2 light window with cusped Y-tracery. The C19 chancel has single 2 and 3 light windows to the north with elaborate cusped flowing tracery and in the east wall of the vestry is a reset 2 light C14 window with reticulated tracery in a moulded rectangular surround. The chancel east window is of 5 lights with cusped flowing tracery and a circle to the head. The south wall of the chancel has a priest's door with elaborate ogee arched head and canopy carved with the Sacred Monogram. To left are single 2 and 3 light windows, and to right a further 3 light window, all with heavily cusped tracery in a loosely C14 style. Above is a pierced trefoil parapet. The south nave wall contains 2 reticulated windows of 3 lights and a flowing traceried window, also of 3 lights, all in pointed and roll moulded surrounds. The southern clerestorey matches the northern. The gabled C13 south porch has a triple chamfered outer arch with paired angle shafts and hobnail annular capitals. Side benches. C14 inner door has a continuously wave moulded and pointed surround. Above is an empty contemporary-niche with crocketed ogee arched canopy. Interior: 3 bay double chamfered C13 nave arcades having filleted quatrefoil pillars to the north side with additional angle shafts to the south. Moulded capitals with hobnailing to the south only which also has engaged octagonal responds. C13 tower arch with engaged shafted reveals and double chamfered head. Above is an off set C12 round headed doorway and an earlier nave roof scar. C13 reset chancel arch with single shafted reveals, annular capitals with hobnailing and a pointed moulded head. C15 cambered tie beam roof, moulded principals and plain rolled corbels. In the south aisle is a C14 tomb recess with shafted reveals and moulded triangular head, also a reset C14 piscina with cusped ogee arched head and matching aumbry in the east wall with mutilated statue bracket and canopy above. In the north aisle is a matching bracket and a plain chamfered doorway to the rood loft. In the north wall of the chancel is a triangular headed doorway to the vestry, and the arch braced roof is supported on angel corbels. Fittings: C19 panelled oak reredos, octagonal ashlar pulpit with trefoil headed panels and brattishing. In the aisles a set of good reused C14 poppyhead bench ends with trilobed panels and foliage. Recut C15 panelled ashlar octagonal font with fleurons to the sides and quatrefoils to the base. Monuments: In the north aisle a C14 effigy to a lady carved in low relief, head on a cushion and plain ogee arched canopy. In the south aisle is a ledger slab with stepped cross to William Frank, d. 1385. In the vestry a small brass to William Styrley, priest, is dated 1536; the deceased is depicted in full mass vestments. On the north wall of the chancel is an elaborate alabaster wall monument in the Gothic taste to Anthony Willson, d. 1866, builder of the chancel. It is in the form of a crocketed gable with side shafts, fleurons and a pair of angels.

Listing NGR: TF0211646448

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
192691
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 30 Jun 2001
Reference: IOE01/05650/13
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Terence G. Onyon. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].