CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1360637
Date first listed:
01-Feb-1967
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS, MAIN STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1360637.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Oct-2019 at 03:08:37.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS, MAIN STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Lincolnshire
District:
North Kesteven (District Authority)
Parish:
Walcot Near Folkingham
National Grid Reference:
TF 06008 35163

Details

TF 03 NE WALCOT NR. FOLKINGHAM MAIN STREET (North Side)

7/113 Church of St. Nicholas 1.2.67 G.V. 1

Parish church. C12, C13, C14, C15, C17, C18, foundations renewed 1889, restored 1907, 1926. Limestone ashlar, some coursed limestone rubble, lead roofs. West tower and spire, clerestoried nave, chancel, north and south aisles and south porch. 2 stage C14 west tower, chamfered plinth and string courses, stepped and gabled set back buttresses. Tall crocketed broach spire with 3 tiers of gabled lucarnes in alternating directions with paired trefoil lights in the lower stages and single lights to the topmost, all with gables and finials. In the belfry stage are paired trefoil headed louvered lights with quatrefoils in wave moulded pointed surrounds. In the west wall ground stage is a single matching window. The west wall of the south aisle contains a C14 2 light window with cusped ogee heads to the lights and a chamfered rectangular surround. In the north aisle wall is a similar window but with a cambered and hollow chamfered surround. In the north wall of the aisle are three 3 light and a single 2 light window matching that to the west, also a blocked pointed doorway with a hollow moulded continuous surround and a plain head. The C15 clerestorey has three 2 light windows with trilobed heads and panel tracery in triangular headed hollow moulded surrounds. In the north chancel wall is a 2 light C14 window with cusped ogee heads to the lights and a wave moulded rectangular surround. Fine C14 east window of 5 lights, cusped flowing tracery forming quatrefoils and mouchettes, pointed wave moulded surround with human head stops to the hollow moulded head. In the south wall of the chancel is a broad 3 light C14 window with cusped ogee heads to the lights and a cambered wave moulded surround. The south aisle has a chamfered plinth, gabled buttresses and a plain parapet. To the east is a 2 light window with cusped ogee heads to the lights and a chamfered rectangular surround. To the south are 3 matching 3 light windows but with hollow moulded surrounds. Also an ogee headed continuously moulded priest's door with crocketed gablet and pinnacles. The clerestorey matches that to the north. The gabled south porch has a pointed double chamfered outer doorway and in the west wall a cross shaped embrasure window with 2 reset fragments of C12 chevron decorated voussoirs. To the east is a window dated 1926 of 2 paired lancets, 2 further voussoirs and a C12 waterleaf capital. The inner doorway is C14, with richly moulded head and floriate capitals, hollow moulded head and human head stops. Early C18 bolection moulded and panelled softwood door. Interior: 3 bay nave arcades, all piers and responds are circular and C12 apart from a shafted pillar on the north side. Octagonal embattled capitals, double chamfered C13 arches. C14 double chamfered tower arch has moulded octagonal responds and shafts, above can be seen the earlier nave pitch. The C14 braced tie beam roof is supported on fluted stone corbels and the aisle roofs match. In the south aisle is a C13 trefoil headed piscina with hobnail decorated hood, also a C14 piscina with fluted basin, crockets to the undersides, cusped ogee head and crocketed gable with finial. In the north wall of the aisle is an arched opening to the chancel with wave moulding, and in the east wall are 3 statue brackets and a blocked rectangular squint. In the north aisle is a plain aumbry, 2 statue brackets and a squint. In the south wall is a broad round headed chamfered arch into the chancel, in the eastern side of which is a circular piscina with human head support. The chancel arch has C12 circular responds, that to the south with stiff leaf foliage to the capital, and a pointed double chamfered arch. It bears traces of red and blue paint on the south side. In the cill of the chancel south window is a fluted piscina.Fittings: Widely spaced late C17 turned baluster altar rails with moulded hand rail. Carved panelled C19 oak reredos. A fine set of C14 bench ends with blank tracery, ears of corn, plants, rosettes and a shield. C13 circular tub font with pointed foliate panels to the sides and a band of foliage with human heads beneath. In the nave is an oak chest mode from C17 wainscotting, and in the north aisle an oak chest contains a reset C13 decorated panel in the front with trilobes and cusped arches and has an early C18 oak raised and fielded panelled lid. Monuments: In the north aisle is the matrix of a small brass to Isaac Laughton, d. 1635.

Listing NGR: TF0600835163

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
192746
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 13 Mar 2007
Reference: IOE01/16337/15
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr James Brown. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].