CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1360899
Date first listed:
01-Jan-1968
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST, CHURCH LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1360899.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 13-Nov-2019 at 16:49:40.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST, CHURCH LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Leicestershire
District:
Melton (District Authority)
Parish:
Bottesford
National Grid Reference:
SK 82901 37845

Details

SK 8237-8337 BOTTESFORD CHURCH LANE (South side) Muston 48/144 Church of St John the Baptist 1.1.68 II*

Parish church. C13 nave and aisles, C14 west tower and chancel. Alterations recorded 1440. Restored 1875-6 by C. kirk. Ironstone with limestone dressings. 3 stage tower, externally of 4 stages defined by string courses. 2-light cusped Y tracery west window. Cusped lancets to ringing chamber and 2-light Decorated belfry windows. Corbel table below 4 corner pinnacles. Octagonal broach spire with 3 tiers of gabled lucarnes decreasing markedly in size. They alternate between facets and contain Decorated 2-light tracery. 3-light Perpendicular south aisle windows under pointed arches. 2-and 3-light Perpendicular north aisle windows under pointed segmental arches. 3 2-light cusped clerestory windows each side under flat heads with hoods. Gabled north and south porches, both with moulded arched entrances. North porch has in addition stepped diagonal buttresses and 2 crocketed pinnacles. South porch has set into its east wall a monument to William Brown, 1761. 2 2-light Flamboyant chancel south windows and 2 3-light north windows separated by an arched Priest's door. 3-light east window of elongated reticulation units. South and east windows probably 1875. Interior. 3-bay C13 arcade, the octagonal piers with polygonal bases and capitals. Capitals with nailhead and occasional crocket decoration. Double chamfered arches. Triple chamfered tower arch and depressed chancel arch. C19 nave roof of ties, ridge piece and one pair butt purlins. 19 C15 poppyheads remain to later benches. Octagonal C15 font with hollow sides to stem, each with 2 fleurons. 4 carved heads to base. Bowl has split-cusped quatrefoils to each facet containing grimacing heads. C15 screen of 3 cusped lights right and left of cusped ogee opening is so restored as to appear entirely C19. Chancel roof as nave. Wall monument in chancel to Robert Sanderson, 1682. Heads of chancel south windows contain fragments of late C14 stained glass.

Listing NGR: SK8290137845

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
190041
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 05 May 2001
Reference: IOE01/03968/21
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Malcolm Sales. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].