- Heritage Category:
- Listed Building
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Date of most recent amendment:
- Statutory Address:
- BEAUMANOR HALL
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1361103.pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 28-Oct-2021 at 15:17:04.
- Statutory Address:
- BEAUMANOR HALL
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- Charnwood (District Authority)
- National Grid Reference:
- SK 53779 15685
SK 51 NW WOODHOUSE BEAUMANOR PARK
1/137 Beaumanor Hall
(Previously listed as
21.3.72 Beaumanor Park)
Mansion of 1842-53.By William Railton for W. Perry Herrick. Red brick in Jacobean style of highest quality workmanship outside and in. Stone dressings, plinth, band,frieze and dentilled cornice, and parapet coping. Carved and pierced stone balustrade panels in part as well as urns between stone coped Dutch gables. Plain tile roof and tall brick stacks in clusters of several flues with partly carved stone bases, banding and tops. 2 storeys and attic of mullion and transom sash windows with stone surrounds and architraves. Symmetrical entrance front of 3 large gables, the central projecting slightly. Here a round-arched doorway with rusticated stone surround. The keystone is the pendant of half-round stone oriel window above. A 3-light both floors either side and a 5-light with 4-light above in side gables. A 2-light in attics. 5 stone steps lead up to pair of richly carved oak doors. Subsidiary range to right of 3½ storeys. Similar 2, 3 and 4-light windows, door and 3 Dutch gables. The avenue front to left of 5 windows; the central a 2 storey square bay of 5-light below, 4 above with single side lights. A 2-light either side, lower left blocked, and either end canted 2 storey bays of 4-lights and side lights. Strapwork stone carving over bays and central gable richly carved with caryatids, volutes, etc. A gable with 2-light either side and pierced balustrading in between. Garden front to rear has flight of stone steps with elaborately carved stone urn either side leading up to central round arched doorway with side lights and oriel over. The gable to left has a 2-light either side of a 2 storey canted 4-light bay with side lights. Gable to right has similar bay only. Carved tops to bays and pierced balustrade between gables with 2-lights. Lower subsidiary range to left of 2 storeys with basement and attic of 2, 3 and 4-light similar windows and 4 gables. Courtyard front to right of entrance of 3 storeys, 4 8/8 sashes and large mullion and transom window to right and doors. Small interior court in centre of house with similar windows. Interior: entrance vestibule with richly carved stone fireplace displaying Herrick arms amidstrapwork overmantle. Carved oak panelled ceiling, frieze, dado and door and window surrounds. Beyond a magnificent 2 storey staircase hall with Imperial staircase. Richly carved oak balustrading continues round gallery on 3 sides. Above an elaborately panelled ceiling dated 1853 with strapwork and pendants. At the head of first flight of stairs a large contemporary window of 7 x 3 lights of stained and painted armorial glass by Warrington of London. Between hall and garden front vestibule a richly carved stone arch. Facing the avenue and garden fronts a series of reception rooms with rich strapwork ceilings and friezes, carved oak door and window surrounds, marble fireplaces, walnut bookcases in one room, carved pelmets in another. Similar simpler decoration on first floor but here a room, with carved oak fireplace, strapwork ceiling and stained glass in window, designed for bed thought to be associated with Richard III. The mansion was the seat of the Herrick family for 300 years from 1595, the previous building dating from C13 having been visited by Richard II and home of the Duchess of Suffolk, mother of Lady Jane Grey. The avenue or S. front closely resembles a drawing of the S. front as refaced c1615 by Sir William Herrick and it is almost certain that Railton was 'recreating' this house demolished in 1726. It is his only complete country house design to remain unaltered. Beaumanor, which is the estate house for Woodhouse, is an important landmark. Railton also designed nearby Church of St. Paul, Woodhouse Eaves, (listed separately). Drinkall P., A Brief History of Beaumanor Hall and Park, Leicester, 1978.Colvin.
Listing NGR: SK5377915685
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
Books and journals
Drinkall, P , A Brief History of Beaumanor Hall and Park, (1978)
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing