Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1361158.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Apr-2021 at 05:17:02.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Charnwood (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SK 59635 08848



SK 50 NE CHURCH HILL (North Side)

5/38 Church of Saint James the Great



Parish Church, medieval but extensively restored in c1860, by Gilbert Scott, and now having a large modern extension to the north, the original north wall having been removed. The medieval building appears to have a late Saxon or Norman core, but is largely late C13 or early C14, and with many later features. Ironstone and granite rubble. West tower, nave with north aisle, chancel. The tower is a squat structure of 2 stages, coursed ironstone rubble on a plinth and with granite boulder course, with quoins and a later ashlar embattled parapet. Single lancet in west wall, and paired lights to bell chamber. Nave has steeply pitched Swithland slate roof, the south wall is Victorian (rebuilt in 1828 and then restored in c1860), granite rubble with sandstone dessings. South doorway has slender shafts and hoodmould with foliate corbels. 2 paired foiled lights with quatrefoils. Eastern coped gable and cross. Chancel is the earliest part of the fabric: coursed granite rubble in small pieces. It is narrower than the nave and also has a steeply pitched roof with eastern coped gable and cross. Its south west window is a shallow round-arched splayed opening. Right of it, some indication of a blocked in feature and a C15 2-light square headed window. East window is a simply traceried light with ogee hoodmould and fleuron. 1 square headed light to North. North aisle largely obliterated by new church building, but its east and west walls are of c1860.

Inside, the tower arch is a late C13 triple-chamfered archway, without capitals or any interuption between shaft and arch. Nave of 3 bays with low round piers and double chamfered arches. Victorian tracery in south windows and Victorian timbered roof. Chancel arch is a double chamfered archway on corbels and in the Chancel to the north are 2 openings through to the north chapel of 1869, and between them a single opening which might be Anglo Saxon or Norman: a single splayed round arched light and incorporated in the glass, fragments of an early latticed wood shutter. 2 roughly shaped piscinas to north and south of altar.

Font is C13, a plain circular bowl on a circular shaft. High Victorian stone and marble pulpit. Much good late C19 stained glass, notably in the west wall and chancel and south east nave window, which is by Ward and Hughes of London, dated 1887. In the chancel are 2 monuments one by J. Bacon junior, a sentimental death bed scene in marble, commemorating Sarah Mansfield, died 1813. the other, is to John Mansfield who died in 1839.

Listing NGR: SK5963508848


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 08 Mar 2007
Reference: IOE01/16070/35
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr David Jefferson. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].