Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1361370.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Apr-2021 at 09:43:12.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

North West Leicestershire (District Authority)
Castle Donington
National Grid Reference:
SK 44705 27333


CASTLE DONINGTON CLAPGUN STREET SK 4427-4527 9/54 Church of St Edward, King and Martyr 7.12.62 GV II*

Parish church. Early C13, with aisles widened C14, tower raised and given spire late C14, and clerestory added C15. Very much restored 1876-77 by William Smith of the Adelphi, London. Chancel restored 1902. Dressed stone with lead roofs. West tower, aisled nave, south porch, chancel. Moulded plinths, battlemented parapets. West tower of 3 stages has tall octagonal spire, part rebuilt late C18, with 2 tiers of lucarnes. Angle buttresses, slit windows to south west stairs, some carved head gargoyles. Bell-chamber has 2-light traceried open- ings; C13 lancets below. Nave has late C15 clerestory of 4 bays with paired cusped lights in rectangular surrounds. C14 north aisle has restored Decorated windows with reticulated tracery, 2-light to west, 2 2-light to north, 3-light to north and east of east bay. North door in moulded 2-centred arch. Off-set buttresses. South aisle is slightly earlier, with keeled sill string and carved heads to string below parapet. Off-set buttresses 2 with corbel stands in gabled arched niches. 5 bays of 2-light traceried windows with carved head hoodmould stops. Similar 3-light east window. West window and those to east bay have shafts. South door in richly moulded arch, much restored, with pair of shafts to each jamb. C15 south porch, much restored, with moulded 2-centred arch and C16-C17 2-light side windows with ovolo mullions. Chancel has chamfered sill string and dripmould. 2 bays of lancets, with 2-light Y- traceried windows to east bay. South side also has partly blocked rectangular lowside window with transom, and later door in chamfered surround. North side has blocked door with 4-centred head. 5-light east window of 1902, in Perpendi- cular style. Interior: Triple chamfered tower arch, the inner order on semi- octagonal piers with moulded caps. 4-bay nave arcades, that to south with double chamfered arches on cylindrical piers with moulded and carved capitals; 2 with dog-tooth ornament. North arcade is chamfered and hollow-chamfered, on octagonal piers with moulded capitals. Above arcades are stone carved head corbels of former roof. Present roof is C16-C17, part restored, with moulded cambered tie beams and carved bosses. Similar aisle roofs. North aisle has remains of stairs to rood. South aisle has shafted window jambs, cusped arched piscina, and pair of arched niches, much restored, with shafts, carved capitals and carved head stops to label. Squints to chancel and nave. Chancel arch is triple-chamfered on corbels. Chancel has blocked door with roll moulding in north wall, and fine C14 tomb recess with moulded and cusped arch. Inside is the carved stone effigy of a priest, c1330, with ogee canopy. South wall has C13 triple arched sedilia with shafts, and chamfered arched piscina. Fittings: include a C15 octagonal stone font with heraldic panels, a C17 chest with carved panels, and a pulpit assembled 1870s from re-used alabaster slabs with inscript- ions and incised figures on inner faces. Other fittings are late C19 and C20. Monuments: in south aisle is a stone tomb chest with corner shafts and brasses depicting Robert Staunton and wife Agnes, d1458, in crocketed ogee canopies. In north aisle is a very fine alabaster tomb chest with carved effigies of Robert Hazylrygg, d1529, and wife. Sides of chest have cusped semi-circular arcades with relief figures of shield-bearing angels and seated bedesmen.

Listing NGR: SK4470527333


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 01 May 2007
Reference: IOE01/16448/02
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr David Jefferson. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].