CHURCH OF HOLY TRINITY

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1361821
Date first listed:
14-Jun-1954
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF HOLY TRINITY

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF HOLY TRINITY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1361821.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Feb-2020 at 12:54:03.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF HOLY TRINITY

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Rutland (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Teigh
National Grid Reference:
SK 86486 16012

Details

TEIGH

SK 81 NE CHURCH OF HOLY TRINITY

2/137

14.6.54

GV II* Church of 1782 with part C13 tower. By G. Richardson for Earl of Harborough. Ashlar with small section coursed rubble stone and parapetted lead roof. W tower with nave and chancel combined and under one roof. Tower of 4 stages with plinth and angle buttresses. 1st stage of C13 with W and S doors. Rest of 1782 with 2 tiers of 4 Dec bell openings with hood moulds. Frieze, battlements and pinnacles. Nave of 3 bays with plinth, angle buttresses ending in pyramids, frieze and battlements. 3 windows either side and E window with hood moulds, and Dec. and Geometrical tracery, probably of 1881. W door leads to circular vestibule with plaster vault and under 3-decker W pulpit to nave. E and W walls divided into 3 bay blank arcades, the W wall arches to left and right containing Lord's Prayer and Creed, the wider central arch the fine and unusual pulpit. Oak with blank arcading and shafted corners. In 'Strawberry Hill' Gothic style with canted oriel pulpit over passage and carved pinnacles. Trompe l'oeil window behind. 3 tiers of original pine pews facing aisle. Oak reredos with altarpiece of Lord's Supper att. to Otto Van Veen (1556 -1634). 10 Commandments in blank arches to left and right and E window with stained glass of 1881. Other windows have stained glass of similar date (patterns and painted flowers and leaves). Shallow plaster nave vault with Harborough and Royal Arms and dated 1789. Contemporary small mahogany vase font and also stone font carved by Rector c1835. Pevsner and Holy Trinity Teigh, guide book, 1967.

Listing NGR: SK8648616012

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
186707
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Holy Trinity Teigh guide book, (1967)
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Leicestershire and Rutland, (1960)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 10 Mar 2005
Reference: IOE01/13988/26
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr James Brown. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].