CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE EVANGELIST

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1361848
Date first listed:
21-Feb-1984
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE EVANGELIST, PRESTON ROAD

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1361848.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Apr-2021 at 09:09:37.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE EVANGELIST, PRESTON ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Lancashire
District:
Chorley (District Authority)
Parish:
Whittle-le-Woods
National Grid Reference:
SD 57850 21522

Details

SD 52 SE WHITTLE-LE-WOODS PRESTON ROAD



3/165 Church of St. John the Evangelist - - II

Church, 1880-2 by Myres Veevers and Myres of Preston, on site of chapel of 1830. Tooled stone rock-faced tower, 2-span slate roofs with gable copings bearing crosses. Nave with south aisle, north transept and chancel with 3-sided apse; battlemented tower in north-east corner of transept and chancel. Early English style, steeply pitched roofs, moulded string courses, gableted buttresses; most windows are coupled lancets which have hoodmoulds with figured stops. Three-stage tower has angle buttresses, a 2-storey stair turret projecting on east side (with a foliated cap); an arched north doorway of 3 orders incorporating shafts with foliated capitals; 3-light louvred belfry windows, gargoyles, embattled parapet with panels of blind quatrefoils, and crocketedpinnacles with finials. The adjoining transept has angle buttresses and a gableted doorway with a moulded arch and foliated shafts. Nave (north wall) of 3 bays with buttresses, bracketed eaves, coupled lancet windows; there is a basement entrance below. Aisle (south wall) is 5 bays with similar buttresses and windows; to 2nd bay a large gabled porch, timber-framed in Jacobean style, on a high stone plinth, entered through a wide opening on the east side, the inner moulded arched doorway containing double doors. West end of 2 unequal gables; west window of nave has 5 stepped lights with cusped heads, the lights having hoodmoulds with foliated stops; both gables have a plate- traceried rose above the window. At east end of aisle is an organ-house in matching style. Chancel has prominent buttresses and three 2-light windows with quatrefoils in the heads. Interior: conjunction of nave with large aisle succeeds in creating a broad internal space: 5-bay south arcade of plain columns with heavily foliated capitals (all different) and matching respond at west end supporting moulded 2-centred arches; similar 2-bay arcade to north transept; rounded chancel arch has good Perpendicular-style screen (1905), with coved canopy and elaborate carving. At west end, memorial window (1899) to Thomas Richard Crosse includes portrait of its subject in military uniform at top of northernmost light: Crosse family of Shaw Hill (q.v.) were principal benefactors of Church.

Listing NGR: SD5785021522

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
357685
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 21 Aug 2000
Reference: IOE01/01094/15
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Roy Finch. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].