CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1361870
Date first listed:
11-Nov-1966
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL, LIVERPOOL OLD ROAD

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1361870.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Apr-2021 at 23:37:50.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL, LIVERPOOL OLD ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Lancashire
District:
South Ribble (District Authority)
Parish:
Much Hoole
National Grid Reference:
SD 46303 22321

Details

SD 42SE MUCH HOOLE LIVERPOOL OLD ROAD

7/71 Church of St. Michael 11.11.1966 GV II*

Church, 1628, of vernacular form, with west front and tower, 1722 in classical style. Red brick on stone plinth, white ashlar tower, slate roof. Single vessel incorporating tower which rises through the ridge at the west end; short C19 chancel. Low gabled porch on south side has segmental entrance arch with leaf spandrels and a hoodmould, above which is a tablet with the words "PREPARE TO MEET THY GOD BELIEVE LOVE OBEY"; gable coping has flaming urn finials on the kneelers and at the apex; inside porch is a studded plank door in wooden doorcase with lintel lettered in relief "1628", and painted Commandment and Lord's Prayer tables. Diaper patterns of blue headers on side walls of porch and on nave wall to the left of it. North wall has a flush doorcase matching the porch entrance, with a studded plank door. Both side walls have round-headed stone mullion windows with hollow spandrels: west of the doors two of 4 lights, and east of them three similar but higher windows, the easternmost of 3 lights. The gabled west front has a band at eaves level broken in the centre by a blank arch of Tuscan demi-columns supporting a 2-stage tower which rises through the tympanum. The arch embraces a door with moulded architrave, and its head is filled with a large oval bullseye with moulded surround and keystone. Gable coping has kneelers, one bearing a flaming urn finial. Tower has rusticated quoins, bands on both levels, a rectangular window with 2 cusped lights, round-headed belfry openings each with 2 slated louvres, and a battlemented coping with pinnacles; south wall of tower has- a large painted sundial dated 1875. On nave -roof beside rear corners of tower are gabled dormer windows which illuminate an interior wall where the eastern corners of the tower are supported on an arch of free-standing Tuscan columns. Interior of nave has low coved ceiling, galleries on the south and west sides supported on iron columns and approached by a quarter-turn stair with turned and splat balusters. Furnishings include: a fine raised box pulpit with a sounding board, and in front of this a carved Cl7 desk (not in situ); a polygonal font (on square pillar) lettered on one side "DEO/DONUM/JOHAN/STONES/AN DOM/1663"; box pews, some with C17 bench ends; and on south wall a Victorian tablet commemorating Jeremiah Horrocks (Curate of Hoole and astronomer, d. 1641), and a large hatchment. (VCH Lancs; Pevsner)

Listing NGR: SD4630322321

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
357976
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: North Lancashire, (1969)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 10 Sep 1999
Reference: IOE01/01695/21
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Mike Pollitt. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].