TOWN HALL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1362011
Date first listed:
09-Mar-1984
Statutory Address:
TOWN HALL, BLACKBURN ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of TOWN HALL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1362011 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Sep-2019 at 00:58:30.

Location

Statutory Address:
TOWN HALL, BLACKBURN ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Lancashire
District:
Hyndburn (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SD 76015 28606

Details

ACCRINGTON BLACKBURN ROAD SD 72 NE 7/3 Town Hall - GV II*

Town Hall, built as Peel Institution 1857-8, by J. Green and T. Birtwhistle. Ashlar, hipped slate roof concealed by a parapet. Rectangular plan 7 x 3 bays. Two storeys; plinth, rusticated quoins, channelled rustication to ground floor, string course, moulded cornice with a parapet interrupted by balustrades; to centre a prominent porte-cochere with arches to front and sides (that in front has figured keystone and is flanked by garlands), bearing a deep hexastyle Corinthian portico (coupled at corners) linked by a balustrade; behind the portico, coupled Corinthian pilasters flank a Venetian window. All the windows at ground floor, and the arches of the porte-cochere, are round-headed and have rusticated surrounds with slightly pendant keystones; all 1st floor windows are segmental-headed, and those in the front have sill balustrades and open segmental pediments supported by consoles. Interior: entrance hall has mosaic floor incorporating Accrington coat of arms (presumably laid after 1878); imperial staircase with foliated iron balusters and curtails; and large deeply undercut moulded plaster ceiling rose. The whole 1st floor is an assembly room with moulded plaster cornice, ornate ceiling in late C17 style (moulded plaster beams, ceiling rose surrounded by a wreath, etc.), cornices to windows and open segmental pediments to doors.

Listing NGR: SD7601528606

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
183799
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].