THE HOLME

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1362053
Date first listed:
01-Apr-1953
Statutory Address:
THE HOLME, BURNLEY ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE HOLME
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1362053.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 13-Nov-2019 at 22:23:34.

Location

Statutory Address:
THE HOLME, BURNLEY ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Lancashire
District:
Burnley (District Authority)
Parish:
Cliviger
National Grid Reference:
SD 87824 28361

Details

SD 82 NE CLIVIGER BURNLEY ROAD

6/22 The Holme 1.4.1953 - II*

House, now (1985) old people's home. Probably early C17, with extensions and alterations date variously 1717, 1796 and 1854. Coursed squared sandstone, mostly watershot, stone slate roof. Now modified H-plan, incorporating hall range and east (right) wing of C17 build, and west wing rebuilt in early C18, with 1854 additions to rear making a rear courtyard (now enclosed). Two storeys; hall range has former doorway (altered as window) close to the angle with the left wing, a moulded dripcourse stepped over this and continued over recessed mullioned ground floor windows of 4 and 4 lights but broken in the centre between these by a C19 gabled porch to an inserted doorway; and at 1st floor similar windows of 2, 3 and 5 + 5 lights (with a king mullion): all these windows with ovolo-and-fillet mullions. Gables of both wings have C17-style recessed mullioned windows in elongated form of c.1800, with hoodmoulds: 10 lights on each floor of left wing, 8 on each floor of right wing; both wings have projecting eaves supported on moulded brackets. Re-entrant angle of right wing has downspout bracket dated 1796. Return wall of left wing has two tall recessed chamfered-mullion windows of 2 lights, a datestone between them with raised lettering W ; and towards the rear T A l717 2-stage flush mullion window with 4-lights above and 2 below, all these at 1st floor (ground floor covered by additions). Return wall of right wing has various recessed mullion windows. Rear (and rear wing) in similar style, has inter alia at gabled stair turret with large 3-stage mullion-and-transom stairlight. Interior: extravagent C19 fittings and decoration in C17 style, including staircase with stained glass window, beams, panelling, and fireplaces with carved wooden overmantels; wide arched stone fireplace with flanking round-headed doorways (a feature original to some contemporary houses in this area, and perhaps also here); at lst floor a water closet with exceptionally wide panelled wooden seat with arm rests (probably early Victorian, designed to accommodate the crinoline). History: home of the Whitaker family (T.D. Whitaker, historian). Reference: RCHM pp. 140-1.

Listing NGR: SD8782428361

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
184028
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Farrer, W, Brownbill, J, The Victoria History of the County of Lancaster, (1911), 140-1

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 19 Oct 2005
Reference: IOE01/14324/22
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Peter Sargeant. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].