EUXTON PARISH CHURCH

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1362144
Date first listed:
17-Apr-1967
Date of most recent amendment:
21-Feb-1984
Statutory Address:
EUXTON PARISH CHURCH, WIGAN ROAD

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1362144.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Apr-2021 at 21:55:23.

Location

Statutory Address:
EUXTON PARISH CHURCH, WIGAN ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Lancashire
District:
Chorley (District Authority)
Parish:
Euxton
National Grid Reference:
SD 55543 18944

Details

SD 51 NE EUXTON WIGAN ROAD



5/124 Euxton Parish Church 17.4.1967 (Formerly listed as Euxton Church) GV II*

Church, probably C14 and late medieval (restored), with 1837 chancel. Sandstone rubble, stone slate roof. Small aisleless building, with some evidence of early rebuilding (see below, "History"). West front has diagonal buttresses, C19 arched doorway with hoodmould, a datestone over it lettered 1573 IDP (date may be "1513"); above this a C19 stepped R M A° dmi triple-lancet window with hoodmould following the heads, and on the apex of the gable a part-corbelled square bellcote of ashlar (possibly early C18). North side wall has a large buttress in the centre, left of it a low doorway with 2-centred double chamfered arch, and three 2-light windows similarly-arched with cusped tracery; masonry of this wall, incorporating some large dressed blocks, shows evidence of some early alterations. South wall has a similar buttress and 4 similar windows, of which the 1st and 3rd appear to be original; arched tear-line in wall near east end marks position of a former south doorway. Interior: single vessel (plus small C19 chancel); arch-braced kingpost roof (probably C16) with 2 tiers of cusped windbraces (westermost truss is modern copy); south wall has coupled piscina and sedile with moulded round arches and hoodmoulds; north wall incorporates aumbry. History: formerly known as Burgh Chapel, and said to have been built (1513) by Sir Wm. Molyneux (lord of the manor) as chapel-of-ease to Leyland Parish Church; was retained as Molyneux private property (and little-used Catholic chapel) from Reformation until transferred to the Established Church in early C18. (Pevsner: VCH Lancs; A. Hewitson: Our Country Churches and Chapels).

Listing NGR: SD5554318944

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
357641
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Hewitson, A , Our Country Churches and Chapels, (1872)
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: North Lancashire, (1969)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 26 Aug 1999
Reference: IOE01/01760/27
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Roy Finch. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].