Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1362269.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Apr-2021 at 22:22:22.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Ribble Valley (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SD 71880 53761



10/38 Hammerton Hall 16.11.1954 - II*

House, probably c.1600, with east cross-wing added C19th. Slobbered rubble with sandstone dressings and slate roof. E-plan. 2 storeys with attic. On each side of the central porch, on both floors, is a 6-light mullioned window with outer chamfer, inner hollow chamfer, and hood. The left-hand cross-wing has the remains of a chamfered surround, with a hood, now containing a modern door and window. On the 1st floor is a window similar to those flanking the porch. The 3-light attic window has an ogee head and hood. The gable has a coping, and the west wall has a large projecting stack with offsets. The right-hand (east) cross-wing has punched quoins. On the ground floor is a window of 3 large lights with chamfered stone surround and mullions, with a hood. On the 1st floor is a window similar to those flanking the porch, but with 3 mullions only remaining. The attic has a blocked 3-light window matching that to the other wing and either reconstructed or a copy. The gable has a coping. The gabled porch oversails on the 1st floor with a cyma moulding. This floor has an ovolo-moulded mullioned and transomed window, with 12 lights, all blocked, at the front, and 6 lights on each return wall, with some blocked. Above is a 5-light attic window matching those to the wings, and a gable coping. The outer doorway is moulded with a Tudor-arched head and hood. The inner doorway is chamfered with a similar head. An early door of studded vertical planks remains. Central range of rear has some double-chamfered windows on each floor, mostly blocked. Interior. At the left of the passage immediately inside the front door, now partly covered by a later stair, is a doorway in a timber partition with ogee doorhead, and a plank door, split horizontally and with early hinges. Other internal walls are formed by wattle-and-daub panels in timber framing, by vertical framed panelling, and by square panelling with plain chamfered rails and muntins. The east cross-wing has softwood beams, but a doorway leading into it on the 1st floor, from the central part of the house, is of chamfered stone with a Tudor-arched head. The west cross-wing has, in its front room, a wide chamfered fireplace with segmental head. A door leading to the rear room has a deep hollow moulding and a Tudor-arched head. In the central section, to the east of the cross-wing, is a spiral stone stair. A view of the house from the rear,c.1720, appears in Buck, Samuel, Yorkshire Sketchbook, reproduced in facsimile, Wakefield, 1979. ~ -

Listing NGR: SD7188053761


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
Hall, I, Samuel Bucks Yorkshire Sketch Book, (1979)


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 20 Aug 2005
Reference: IOE01/13797/28
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Chris Thoume. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].