BOUGHTON COURT

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1362711

Date first listed: 13-Oct-1952

Statutory Address: BOUGHTON COURT, CHURCH LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of BOUGHTON COURT
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1362711 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Mar-2019 at 09:58:30.

Location

Statutory Address: BOUGHTON COURT, CHURCH LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Kent

District: Ashford (District Authority)

Parish: Boughton Aluph

National Grid Reference: TR 03280 48209

Details

TR 04 NW BOUGHTON ALUPH CHURCH LANE (west end)

5/7 Boughton Court

13.10.52 II*

Manor House. C14 crypt, with C16 structure over reclad in C19. Stone crypt, timber framed over, clad in red brick with plain tile roof. 2 storeys on brick and rubble plinth; kneelered parapet gables to roof with stack to left, central stack and end stack to right. Regular fenestration of 5 three-light Dering windows with drip moulds. C19 plank door in 2 storey porch, in the upper storey a 2 light Dering window and small bullseye over that. Interior: the central doorway leads into a barrel vaulted passage through the central chimney stack, an arrangement dating from the insertion of the stack into an earlier screens passage. The house to right of the central stack stands on a 4 bay vaulted crypt. This has a blocked doorway to the front of the house, and an internal stairway into the house. On either end wall are ogee-headed niches. The vault ribs are double-chamfered, the whole structure has similarities to nearby church of All Saints, and like the main body of the church dates to the time of Sir Thomas de Aldon, owner of the manor c1329-61, and who had licence to crenellate his house 1339. See Igglesdon, XXV and B.O.E., Kent II, 150.

Listing NGR: TR0327948214

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 181367

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Igglesden, C, Saunter through Kent with pen and pencil, (1931)
Newman, J, The Buildings of England: North East and East Kent, (1969), 150

End of official listing