CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1363206
Date first listed:
08-Jun-1972
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL, ASHFORD ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1363206.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Feb-2020 at 23:16:01.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL, ASHFORD ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Kent
District:
Ashford (District Authority)
Parish:
Tenterden
National Grid Reference:
TQ 88451 35381

Details



633/4/162 ASHFORD ROAD 08-JUN-72 ST MICHAELS CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL

II 1862-3 by Gordon M Hills.

MATERIALS: Kentish ragstone with freestone dressings. Red clay tile roofs with blacked crested ridge tiles.

PLAN: Nave, chancel, S aisle, S tower, NW porch, N vestry.

EXTERIOR: The church, built in a late 13th-century style, is sited on ground which falls away sharply to the S which gives the building quite a dramatic impact from that side. The dominant feature is the steeple, attached to the SE part of the nave. It is of three storeys and has a projecting square stair at the SW corner which terminates in a sloping stone capping at the belfry level. The belfry openings are louvred and have two-lights each. The spire is of the broach type and has lucarnes on the cardinal faces. The nave and S aisle are under a catslide roof and the aisle has small, trefoil-headed single-lancet windows. The chancel S elevation has four cusped lancet windows but these are much larger. At the E end the chancel has a three-light Geometrical-style window with three circles in the head. On the N side there is a vestry placed under a catslide roof with the chancel. The N side of the nave has windows with Y-tracery and cusping.

INTERIOR: The walls are plastered and whitened throughout. On the S side of the nave there is a three-bay arcade to the aisle with stepped arches and round piers: these have moulded octagonal capitals and moulded round bases set on low square plinths. There are further arches from the aisle and the SE part of the nave to the base of the tower which serves as an organ chamber. The chancel arch is also stepped and has semi-circular responds with foliage capitals. There are arch-braced roofs to the nave and chancel and a lean-to one to the aisle.

PRINCIPAL FIXTURES: Much Victorian work survives. At the E end there are metal sheets bearing the Ten Commandments, Creed and Lord's Prayer, and behind the altar and below the window the walls are decorated with a variety of marbles. The font is octagonal and has an attractive frieze round the top of the bowl and painted lettering at the bottom: the base includes four shafts of grey marble. The pulpit, stalls and nave seats survive although the seating has been removed from the aisle. The stained glass dates from the 19th and early 20th centuries. On the N wall of the nave is a white marble monument of 1901 to Seaman Beale, the first vicar, with a relief of St Michael trampling on Satan.

SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: To the S is a red-brick school built in 1861 and with additions of 1960-1.

HISTORY: Plans to build a church here must have been in place in 1860 for an application was made to the Incorporated Church Building Society for funding early in January 1861. At this time the architects were named as Goodwin and Butcher of 37 Bedford Row, London, and the cost was estimated at £2,125. However, in the event, the architect was G M Hills of 12 John Street, Adelphi, London. The church was consecrated on 1 August 1863 and contained 281 seats, all of which were free. The architect, Gordon M Hills (1826-95), served his articles in Southampton and became managing assistant to the famous London church architect R C Carpenter from 1850. He commenced practice in 1854 and became diocesan surveyor to London, Rochester and St Albans. His son, also Gordon (1867-1937), became his partner and successor.

SOURCES: Incorporated Church Building Society papers, Lambeth Palace Library, file 5712. John Newman, The Buildings of England: Kent, North East and East, 1983, p 541.

REASONS FOR DESIGNATION: The church of St Michael is designated at Grade II for the following principal reasons: * It is of special interest as a very largely intact mid-Victorian church built in a late 13th-century style and forms a visually satisfying composition located on rising ground.

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
179686
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 16 Jun 2004
Reference: IOE01/09974/18
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Derrick Chiverrell. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].