CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1363872
Date first listed:
28-Oct-1959
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, RODBOURNE ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1363872.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Feb-2020 at 18:11:40.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, RODBOURNE ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Wiltshire (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
St. Paul Malmesbury Without
National Grid Reference:
ST 92563 83952

Details

ST 98 SW ST PAUL MALMESBURY RODBOURNE ROAD, Corston WITHOUT (north side)

8/165 Church of All Saints

28.10.59

GV II*

Anglican parish church. Early C15 (bell-turret and south porch), thorough rebuilding in 1881 with 1911 chancel. Squared and coursed rubble with stone dressings, ashlar copings and stone slate roofs. Nave, chancel, west bell-turret, south porch, north vestry. Nave has 2-light C13 style windows under pointed heads with hoodmoulds and some face stops. Chancel has single-light C15 style windows under flat heads to side walls and a 2-light east window under pointed head. Bell-turret open at sides with embattled fret to cornice and lead pyramidal cap. On west face below turret a buttress develops into a gargoyle above a C15 two-light window under pointed head. Gabled south porch with triple-wave-moulded entrance archway and inner round-headed doorway with plank door; stone benches either side. Interior. Nave and chancel in one with a barrel vault to nave and open rafter roof to chancel. Fittings. Several wall tablets in the nave (early C18-early C19); Perpendicular style octagonal font on stem at south door; Jacobean oak pulpit. C15 rood screen with C19 base, early C18 communion rail with turned balusters. First World War Memorial stained glass to chancel east window; north wall window has 2 attached flemish roundels of stained glass. (N. Pevsner, The Buildings of England: Wiltshire, 1975)

Listing NGR: ST9256383952

This List entry has been amended to add sources for War Memorials Online and the War Memorials Register. These sources were not used in the compilation of this List entry but are added here as a guide for further reading, 25 October 2017.

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
315788
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N , The Buildings of England: Wiltshire, (1975)
Websites
War Memorials Online, accessed 25 October 2017 from https://www.warmemorialsonline.org.uk/memorial/241295
War Memorials Register, accessed 25 October 2017 from http://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/23981

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 30 Aug 1999
Reference: IOE01/01393/25
Rights: Copyright IoE Ms Kirsty Denley. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].