CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL AND ALL ANGELS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1363920
Date first listed:
28-Oct-1959
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL AND ALL ANGELS, SCHOOL HILL, BRINKWORTH, SN15 5AX

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL AND ALL ANGELS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1363920.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Feb-2020 at 00:38:57.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL AND ALL ANGELS, SCHOOL HILL, BRINKWORTH, SN15 5AX

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Wiltshire (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Brinkworth
National Grid Reference:
SU 01292 84414

Details

This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 15/06/2016

SU 08 SW 10/11

BRINKWORTH SCHOOL HILL Church of St Michael and All Angels

(Formerly listed as Church of St Michael, THE STREET)

28.10.59

GV I Anglican Parish Church. C14 origin (chancel), C15 and thorough 1889 restoration. Some squared dressed stone to tower and sections of aisles, the remainder of coursed rubble with stone dressings and ashlar to parapets and copings; stone slate roofs. Nave, chancel, north and south aisles, west tower and south porch. South aisle has moulded plinth, buttresses with set-offs and an embattled parapet; four 3-light C15 windows under pointed heads with hoodmoulds. Identical arrangement to north aisle but with a central Tudor-arched doorway with hoodmould and plank door. Chancel south side has one 2-light C15 window under flat head with face stops to hoodmould to left and a pointed-arched doorway with plank door and a single-cusped-light to right. Similar arrangement to north minus door. Three-light C15 east window under pointed head with restored tracery and C19 face stops to hoodmould. Three- stage tower with moulded string courses, diagonal buttresses with set-offs and gargoyles below embattled parapet. West facade has pointed-arched C15 doorway within square surround with hoodmould: plank door. Above this a 3-light C15 window under pointed head. Second stage to all faces has a single lancet opening and bell stage has 2-cusped-light openings with stone slate louvres; clock to east face. South porch with moulded plinth, diagonal buttresses and embattled parapet. Pointed-arched entrance with 2-leaf C19 plank doors. Inner doorway with moulded architrave, paterae stops to hoodmould and C19 plank door. Interior. Five-bay nave arcades with octagonal piers and double- wave-moulded pointed arches. C15 wagon roof to nave, C15 roofs with carved bosses to aisles and C19 barrel vault to chancel. Rood stairs to left of chancel arch, squint to right. C19 aumbry on chancel south wall. Fittings. Sections of C15 painting to arches of nave arcades and nave north wall. Early C14 font at tower door below gallery with octagonal base and bowl with late C16 pyramidal wooden cover. C18 west gallery with stairs to left, original panelled front and sides but renewed substructure. 1813 cast iron Coalbrookdale churchwardens' chest at foot of gallery stairs. Massive organ of 1905 on gallery. Badly decayed wood panel William and Mary coat of arms on vestry west wall, further royal arms on canvas of 1728 above south door. Fine 1748 wall monument to John Weeks: architectural composition with fluted Ionic half-columns and broken pediment. C19 oil painting of avenging angel on east wall of north aisle. Elegant 1630 wooden pulpit supported on carved gryphons and lions and with backboard framed by a carved lion and unicorn; hexagonal tester. Late C19 stained glass to third window east in north aisle, east window of chancel and richer, 1909, glass to chancel north and south windows to the west; 1900 glass to single-light chancel windows to the east. Fine 1633 altar table with carved balusters and round-arched arcading. (N. Pevsner, The Buildings of England: Wiltshire, 1975)

Listing NGR: SU0129284414

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
315633
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N , The Buildings of England: Wiltshire, (1975)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 20 Sep 2001
Reference: IOE01/05185/31
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Brian Thatcher. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].