- Heritage Category:
- Listed Building
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Statutory Address:
- HARTHAM HOUSE
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1364019 .pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 16-Jul-2019 at 01:25:18.
- Statutory Address:
- HARTHAM HOUSE
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- Wiltshire (Unitary Authority)
- National Grid Reference:
- ST 86098 72027
ST 87 SE
1/153 Hartham House
20 12 6o.
Country House, 1790-5 by J. Wyatt for Lady A. James, much enlarged c1858 for T.H.A. Poynder and 1888 for J.D. Poynder by J. MacVicar Anderson. Ashlar with slate roofs, 2 to 3 storeys. The original house with centre 3-window canted bow and 2-window range each side survives in centre of south front. Twelve-pane sashes in architraves, raised plinth, band, sill course, moulded cornice and balustrade, shallow pediments over ground floor centre and first floor outer windows, curved pediment over first floor centre and flat cornices elsewhere. Early views show carved plaques over first floor windows, so facade possibly refaced. Extensions are all in similar style. East, entrance front of c1858, two storeys, 3-1-3 windows, centre recessed with tall segmental-pedimented doorcase set within projecting ashlar porch with Ionic columns paired with outer piers, entablature and balustrade. South end, adjoining original range, has canted bay to ground floor and 2 sashes above. West front, probably mostly of 1888, tall 3-storey south-west block with 3-window south front and one-window 2-storey link to original house, and lower 3-storey range running north with 2-storey canted bay at left end. Between 2 sections is 2-storey projection with Venetian opening to each floor and balustrade. To right glazed porch with Roman Doric columns. Rear north service ranges part enveloping a squared rubble stone range, originally 2- storey 3-3-3 windows with raised quoins and sashes, possibly late C18 or early C19, centre and left with later third storey added. Interiors are all either mid C19 or late C19 with mid C19 two- storey stair hall behind original range, late C19 library with fine bookcases at south-east angle and former dining-room at north-east angle with, probably mid C19, Jacobean-style pilasters. Throughout the house are very fine late C18 marble fireplaces notably in stair-hall, dining-room, library, one room on west front and possibly also in south side former picture gallery (fireplace now boxed in). On first floor similar fireplaces in 5 rooms. Estate belonged to Goddard family in C17 and C18, Lady James was heiress of E. Goddard. Poynder family of Hilmarton bought it c1855. Sold by Sir J.D. Poynder, 1st Lord Islington, c1920.
Listing NGR: ST8609872027
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing
Images of England
Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.