Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST THOMAS A BECKET
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1364255.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Feb-2020 at 19:18:26.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Wiltshire (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference:
ST 95258 53956


EAST COULSTON EAST COULSTON VILLAGE ST 95 SE (south side) 6/132 Church of St Thomas a Becket 11.9.68 II Anglican parish church. C12, C14, C17, restored 1868 by Richard Gane of Trowbridge. Rubble stone and brick, Welsh slate roof. Nave with west doorway, north vestry, north transept and chancel. West end of nave has C19 Tudor-arched doorway with double doors, string course over to 3-light mullioned and transomed window, probably C17, brick gable above, diagonal buttresses. Single bell hung on west gable with gabled canopy over. South side of nave has blocked C12 doorway with crocketed capitals and missing shafts, blank tympanum and roll-moulded round arch, buttresses with offsets either side, 2-light C19 mullioned casement to right. Chancel with lower roofline has two C19 geometric-style windows with hoodmoulds, 3-light C19 geometric east window, coped verge with cross finial, north side has one C19 two-light geometric window, blocked pointed opening. C14 north vestry has square-headed light to east, reset cusped window head, diagonal buttresses to north with 3-light C19 mullioned casement in larger, partly blocked opening. Small gable vestry to right has 2-light recessed chamfered mullioned casement and diagonal buttress. Interior: Nave has C19 2 1/2 bay roof on stone corbels, strengthened 1935, stone floors. Pointed late Medieval doorway to C19 vestry, possibly former entrance. North transept with wide continuously chamfered pointed arch, with traces of painted decoration on east jamb, plastered barrel vaulted ceiling, roll-moulded pointed piscina on south wall. C19 chancel arch with attached shafts and keel moulding, set in C19 wall with quatrefoil decoration, C19 chancel roof partly concealed behind inserted boarded ceiling, roll-moulded pointed piscina on south wall retained, 1728 marble floor. Fittings: 1860s stained glass in east window, brass plaque by south window of chancel records 1868 restoration. Pews from Colerne, Church of St John the Baptist. C12 cylindrical stone font with simple blind arcading. Grey and white marble wall tablet with segmental pediment on north wall of chancel to Jacobus (sic) Meredith died 1746, brass on floor to James Meredith, rector died 1712. Brasses on south wall of nave to Elizabeth Godolphin died 1667 and to Thomas Lambe died 1741. A south transept was removed in 1842. (VCH, Wiltshire, Vol 8, 1965)

Listing NGR: ST9525853956


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
Pugh, RB, Crittall, E, The Victoria History of the County of Wiltshire, (1965)


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 30 Jun 2001
Reference: IOE01/04179/03
Rights: Copyright IoE Gill Cardy. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].