Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1364257.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Feb-2020 at 20:38:29.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Wiltshire (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference:
ST 92641 53314


EDINGTON EDINGTON VILLAGE ST 95 SW (north side) 5/142 Church of St Mary, St Katherine and All Saints 11.9.68 GV I Priory church and Anglican parish church. 1352-61 for William of Edington, Bishop of Winchester. 1888-91 restoration by C.E. Ponting. Limestone ashlar, lead roofs and rainwater goods. Aisled cruciform church with south porch. Three-storey porch with diagonal buttresses and moulded pointed doorway with hoodmould, 2- light square-headed window with cusped lights to first floor and tall 2-light to second floor, sides have single and 2-light chamfered lights, battlemented parapet and pair of ashlar octagonal stacks to roof, polygonal stair turret attached to north west angle. South aisle has 3-light segmental-headed window with cusped lights to left and four the same to right of porch. Battlemented parapets to all roofs. Clerestory has six 3-light segmental-headed cusped windows. South transept has tall 2-light pointed Perpendicular window to west, polygonal stair turret with sundial on south-west angle, 3-light pointed Perpendicular window to south and east sides, ogee-shaped gable behind the parapet, angle buttress on south-east corner carried up to pinnacle. South side of chancel has three 3-light Perpendicular windows and segmental-headed priest's door, large buttresses with crocketed pinnacles, cornice to parapet has fine gargoyles, large 5-light Perpendicular east window, north side has three 3-light windows and central blocked doorway with cusped canopy. North transept has doorway and 3-light window to east, crocketed angle buttresses, 3- light window to north with four C17 shell-headed niches below, polygonal stair turret to north west angle, tall 2-light window to west, evidence of former monastic buildings against north side of transept and aisle. North aisle has large Tudor-arched doorway to left, six 3-light segmental-headed windows high on wall to right. Six similar windows to clerestory. West end has pair of doors with cusped heads and Perpendicular blind tracery over; large 8- light Perpendicular window over, aisles have 2-light windows with geometric Decorated tracery. Crossing tower has polygonal stair turret on south-west angle, string course to bellstage with 2-light geometric Decorated louvred windows, battlemented parapet. Interior: Lierne-vaulted porch ceiling on attached shafts, stone benches, ribbed door to stairs, moulded pointed inner doorway. Nave has original 6-bay kingpost roof with C17 cusped plaster panels. Six-bay arcades with moulded pointed arches on compound piers, restored lean-to aisle roofs. Consecration crosses on interior walls. South transept has 2-bay king-post roof with cusping, narrow stairs door, fine C15 Baynton monument against south wall. Lady chapel in north transept has plaster ceiling with cusped panels in nave, dated 1663, cusped piscina and crocketed niche, C17 reredos and communion rails. Crossing has late C18 plaster fan-vault on wide pointed arches, marble floor. Early C16 screen and loft to chancel, east side and top restored by Ponting. Chancel has 1789 plaster ceiling, crocketed image niches on walls; only two retain statues, crocketed south doorway, partly damaged 3-seat sedilia and piscina on south wall. Fine C17 communion rail with dogbars and strapwork. Other fittings: C15 octagonal stone font base in north aisle reset with C19 marble bowl and plinth, C17 cover; on C19 mosaic floor. C17 pulpit with tester and 1890s stairs in C18 style. Pews c1890. C18 brass candelabra throughout. C14 stained glass retained in clerestory windows and east window of Lady Chapel, some C19 glass in chancel. some fittings from Imber Church of St Giles: altar in north aisle, 1639 Royal Arms and two C14 effigies of knights, one in cusped ogee niche, now in south aisle. 1852 benefactions board in north aisle. Monuments: Collection of C18 and C19 marble wall tablets in Lady Chapel include several to Long family of Baynton House (q.v.). In chancel is grey marble monument by Chantrey to Sir Simon Taylor died 1815 and fine Lewis monument erected by Lady Anne Beauchamp to Sir Edward Lewis died 1632. C15 Cheney monument occupies a bay in the south arcade. William of Edington founded a chantry here in 1351, the foundation was transferred to the Bonhommes in 1358. The church is one of the most important examples of early Perpendicular. (VCH, Wiltshire, Vol 8 1965; N. Pevsner, The Buildings of England, Wiltshire, 1975; K.J. Rogers, Guide to Church, 1980)

Listing NGR: ST9263453311


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
Pevsner, N , The Buildings of England: Wiltshire, (1975)
Pugh, RB, Crittall, E, The Victoria History of the County of Wiltshire, (1965)
Rogers, K D , Guide to the Church of St Mary St Katherine and All Saints, (1980)


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 27 Aug 1999
Reference: IOE01/00372/07
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Ron L Pybus. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].