CHURCH OF ST COSMAS AND ST DAMIAN

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1364328
Date first listed:
11-Sep-1968
Date of most recent amendment:
11-Dec-1987
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST COSMAS AND ST DAMIAN, CHURCH LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST COSMAS AND ST DAMIAN
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1364328.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Feb-2020 at 03:49:08.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST COSMAS AND ST DAMIAN, CHURCH LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Wiltshire (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Sherrington
National Grid Reference:
ST 96032 39199

Details

SHERRINGTON CHURCH LANE ST 93 NE (north side) 7/92 Church of St Cosmas and St Damian (formerly listed as 11.9.68 Church of St Michael and All Angels) GV I Anglican parish church. C14, rebuilt 1624. Dressed limestone, fishscale tiled roof with stone slate eaves and coped verges. Plan: nave with west bellcote, south porch, chancel. Gabled south porch with semi-circular arched doorway with cyma moulding and imposts, coped verge, stone slate roof, recessed panel with arms of Thomas Lambert of Boyton and date 1624 over door, initials SG inscribed on stone to right. Nave has 2-light square-headed window with plain pointed lights to left and right of porch and single semi-circular headed window to right, buttress with offsets. Chancel has two C14 two-light square-headed windows with ogee cusping to south and north, diagonal buttresses and 4-light C14 window with interlaced tracery to east, north side also has ovolo- moulded pointed doorway with lozenge-shaped datestone over inscribed TL/1624/HG; datestone inscribed 1624/HG over east window. North side of nave has blocked pointed doorway, 2-light C17 windows with pointed lights either side, buttresses with offsets. West end has diagonal buttresses, C14 three-light window with reticulated tracery, chamfered lancet over. C19 bellcote in ashlar to west gable with chamfered Tudor-arched openings and hoodmoulds with foliated terminals, fleur de lis shaped ridge coping. Interior: Porch has fixed stone benches, pointed chamfered inner doorway with good ledged door. Nave has plastered barrel-vaulted roof with ovolo-moulded wooden ribs and carved bosses, divided into 5 bays, flagstone floors. Plastered walls with good surviving painted cartouches with Biblical inscriptions and prayers, one with date 1630, uncovered 1939 and restored by Janet Becker. Moulded pointed chancel arch, chancel has 2-bay collar-truss roof with clasped purlins, previously plastered and ceiled at collar. Fittings: Good little altered fittings of early C17 throughout church. C17 pews with shell-headed bench ends'with floral carving, some strapwork friezes on high-backed pew near south door, polygonal carved wooden pulpit, communion table with turned legs, communion rails with turned balusters and Tuscan newels, strapwork carving on rail. Restored C13 octagonal stone font at west end with C17 wooden cover. Queen Ann Royal Arms over chancel arch. Panelled reredos in chancel in same style as pews, in memory of rector died 1909. Stained glass of 1900 in east window, some reset C17 roundels of Flemish glass in chancel. Monuments include a limestone gothic-style tablet in chancel to Mason Anderson died 1852. (N. Pevsner, The Build of England, Wiltshire, 1975; R.D. Richardson, Church Guide)

Listing NGR: ST9603539198

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
313565
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N , The Buildings of England: Wiltshire, (1975)
Richardson, R D, St Cosmas and St Damian Church Guide

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 04 Nov 2000
Reference: IOE01/02993/09
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Antony Barrington-Brown. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].