CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1364356
Date first listed:
11-Sep-1968
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST, CHURCH LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1364356 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 14-Oct-2019 at 01:40:43.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST, CHURCH LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Wiltshire (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Horningsham
National Grid Reference:
ST 82066 41414

Details

HORNINGSHAM CHURCH LANE ST 84 SW (east side) 2/111 Church of St. John the Baptist 11.9.68

GV II*

Anglican parish church. C15 tower, remainder rebuilt 1844 by T.H. Wyatt and D. Brandon. Dressed limestone, tiled roof. Plan: nave and aisles, chancel with south chapel and north organ chamber, north porch, south-west tower over entrance. C15 north-west 3- stage tower has diagonal buttresses, double-chamfered Tudor-arched west doorway with C19 double doors with ornamental hinges and hoodmould, restored 3-light Perpendicular window over, offset bellstage has 2-light Perpendicular windows with decorative pierced louvres, moulded string course with carved grotesque animals to battlemented parapet with crocketed corner pinnacles. South aisle has four 2-light Perpendicular-style windows and cusped lancet to left, moulded eaves cornice to pitched roof. South chapel has two ogee cusped lancets, 2-light Perpendicular window to east, diagonal buttresses. Presbytery has Tudor-arched south doorway and ogee lancet, east end has 3-light Perpendicular window with ogee tracery, north side has two ogee lancets, blocking course with gothic lettering inscriptions to both sides. North aisle has four 2-light Perpendicular windows with hoodmoulds, central gabled porch with moulded pointed doorway with double doors with ornamental hinges, coped verge with quatrefoil and lamb. West end has 2-light Perpendicular window to north aisle, three small cusped lancets and large 2-light Perpendicular-style window to nave. Octagonal stair turret with battlemented parapet to north side of tower. Interior: Entrance in tower has carved ribbed ceiling with rosette bosses, Tudor-style screen to south aisle. Plain ashlar walls, tiled floors to unusually broad open interior. Seven-bay nave; west bay partitioned by ashlar wall with pointed doorway and painted inscription frieze, carved stone Royal Arms. Good hammer beam nave roof with carved spandrels. Six-bay north and south arcades on slender compound columns with foliated capitals and pointed arches. Very tall wide hollow and roll-moulded chancel arch with compound pilasters;- chancel same width as nave with fine 4-bay hammer beam roof with carved angels on hammer beams. Two pointed arches to south chapel and north organ chamber and vestry with traceried screens, painted biblical inscriptions on friezes, polychrome tiled floor, some Medieval tiles in presbytery. Fittings: stone traceried reredos, good brass candelabras, cylindrical stone pulpit with traceried panels, octagonal stone font at west end, good quality pews. East window has fine pictorial stained glass depicting The Crucifixion, 1860s glass in south chapel and west window. Tablets from earlier church in vestry: classical marble to Thomas Davis died 1807 by H. Westmacott and to William Crumbleholme died 1828 by Chapman of Frome, 1727 stone baroque tablet with illegible inscription. Rebuilding cost £5100 paid for by Dowager Marchioness of Bath. (N. Pevsner, The Buildings of England; Wiltshire, 1975.)

Listing NGR: ST8205941413

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
313332
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N , The Buildings of England: Wiltshire, (1975)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 19 Aug 1999
Reference: IOE01/01508/01
Rights: Copyright IoE Ms Geraldine Bunn. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].