CHURCH OF ST MARY

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1364367
Date first listed:
11-Sep-1968
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1364367.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Feb-2020 at 19:18:16.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Wiltshire (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Kingston Deverill
National Grid Reference:
ST 84584 37062

Details

KINGSTON DEVERILL KINGSTON DEVERILL VILLAGE ST 83 NW (south side) 5/163 Church of St. Mary 11.9.68

GV II*

Anglican parish church. C15, 1846 restoration by Manners and Gill of Bath. Limestone, rock-facing to nave and chapel, Welsh slate or lead roofs. Plan: nave, south chapel, now organ chamber, chancel and central tower, south porch. Gabled porch with diagonal buttresses and coped verge and pointed archway with ogee cusping and shafts with foliated capitals. Nave has 2-light pointed geometric-style window to left and right, corbel table with foliated corbels and plain blocking course. Rebuilt south chapel has two 3-light pointed geometric-style windows with hoodmoulds, similar corbel table and blocking course to nave. Three-stage central tower has buttresses with offsets, 2-light geometric-style window to first stage, trefoil-headed window to second stage, bell-stage has string course and 2-light Perpendicular window with decorative pierced louvres, moulded string course with good carved gargoyles. Chancel has two C19 cusped lancets with hoodmoulds to south side, east end has diagonal buttresses, large 3-light geometric-style window and gable with ballflower ornament, north side has cusped lancet, pointed planked door with strap hinges in cusped arch with attached shafts, foliated frieze to blocking course of open trefoils on north and south sides. North side of tower has square stair turret with chamfered doorway and loopholes, low broach spire with roll moulding. North side of nave has one 2-light geometric-style window to left and three to right of pointed doorway of vestry, blocking course as on south. West end has diagonal buttresses and good 4-light geometric-style window. Interior: porch has moulded cusped rafter roof, pointed inner doorway. Five-bay nave has good C19 cusped arch-braced collar trusses and plainer trusses to half-bays, cusped windbraces. Plain ashlar walls. South chapel, now organ chamber has 2-bay arcade on octagonal piers and responds and cyma-moulded arches, probably C15. Double-chamfered tower arches, ceiling with moulded cross beams. Two-bay chancel has good C19 cusped and carved arch- braced collar trusses, cusped windbraces, windows with cusped rere- arches, plain reredos with stone foliated frieze, polychrome tiled floor. Fittings: C19 brass and wooden communion rail, fine wooden pulpit with panels of Flemish Flamboyant tracery, C12 cylindrical stone font at west end, C19 pews with carved bench- ends. Medieval stone effigy in chancel; unidentified. White marble wall tablet in south chapel to Jane Deer, died 1778 and other members of family up to 1840. C16 grisaille glass in west window, late C19 stained glass in nave dedicated to Philip Moore and Amy Stratton. Fine late C14 wood seated figure of Virgin and Child, probably German and given to the Church in 1970 by Mr. Holman. Restoration paid for by Dowager Marchioness of Bath. (Kelly's Directory, Wiltshire, 1875. N. Pevsner, The Buildings of England, Wiltshire, 1975.)

Listing NGR: ST8458437062

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
313384
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N , The Buildings of England: Wiltshire, (1975)
'Kellys Directory' in Wiltshire, (1875)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 23 Mar 2003
Reference: IOE01/07065/21
Rights: Copyright IoE Ms Geraldine Bunn. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].