CHURCH OF ST MARY

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1364574
Date first listed:
08-May-1972
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY, LIMEKILN ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1364574.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Feb-2020 at 03:56:41.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY, LIMEKILN ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Wiltshire (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Chute Forest
National Grid Reference:
SU 30891 52060

Details

CHUTE FOREST LIMEKILN ROAD SU 35 SW 10/98 Church of St Mary 8.5.72 II*

Redundant parish church. 1875, by J.L. Pearson for Fowle family. Knapped flint with brick strings and dressings, tiled roofs. Nave with aisles and south-west porch, chancel with tall vestry at right angles on north side, and tower with spire at east end of south aisles. Gabled porch with stone inner chamfered order on impost columns, and hoodmould. Short lancets to aisles, also with inner stone frame, and similar lancets to chancel. Triple equal east and west lancets, the west having a quatrefoil over. Flush brick mid wall band and chequer pattern above a higher string. Tower of 3 stages, unbuttressed. Tall twin bell openings in stepped brick reveals. Pyramidal spire over slight corbel table. Interior door studded. Interior: Exposed tuck pointed brick with blue brick patterning. Nave and chancel in one, divided by brick transverse pointed arches on varied stone corbels, the arches continued as lower arches over aisles. Arcade of 2 bays to narrow aisles, single bay to chancel and blind arcades to sanctuary. Roof open trussed rafters, with braces to lower arcade plates carried on the transverse arches. High collars. Windows have wide brick embrasures and rere-arches. Chancel floor raised and paved with encaustic tiles, and 3 steps to altar table. Stone bench sedilia and attached vessel table. Carved Portland stone reredos of Christ and Evangelists, quatrefoils below. Vestry has north window and external door. Two vestment cupboards. Fittings: Font, octagonal on a series of small attached shafts. Pulpit, on left, also stone, bold panelling, and steps with parapet. Readers' desks, choir stalls and nave pews contemporary. Bells removed to St Nicholas, Upper Chute (q.v.). Glass: East window by Clayton and Bell, 1914. West windows 1914, in different style. Monuments: At west end. Gilded slate lozenge tablet, to Capt Frank G. Fowle, died 1942. An important and unaltered building by an eminent C19 architect.

Listing NGR: SU3089152060

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
312306
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].