CHURCH OF THE HOLY CROSS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1364663
Date first listed:
27-May-1964
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF THE HOLY CROSS, CHURCH END

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF THE HOLY CROSS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1364663.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Feb-2020 at 02:09:49.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF THE HOLY CROSS, CHURCH END

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Wiltshire (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Wilcot
National Grid Reference:
SU 14005 60792

Details

WILCOT CHURCH END SU 16 SW

5/136 Church of the Holy Cross 27.5.64

GV II*

Anglican parish church. Late C12, C15, 1718, 1825 and much restored after fire in 1876, by A.J. Style. Malmstone with limestone dressings. Tiled roof. Nave and north aisle, south porch, chancel and west tower. South porch and C18 reconstruction further repaired in later C19. Moulded 2-centred arch and perforated barge boards. Datestone 1718. Inner door late C12- early C13, slightly pointed and chamfered. Two-light nave windows, largely renewed in C19, in deep reveals. Square sundial dated 1840. Chancel rebuilt in 1825 by Col Wroughton; low set 3-light Perpendicular style windows and a porch to a south priest's door. Four C12 stones from former chancel reset, two being capitals with masks and drapery. The aisle has 3-light square-headed windows. West tower of 2 stages, tall lower stage with west door and window in very deep reveals. Bell openings have Somerset tracery. Crenellated parapet with crocketed pinnacles. Interior: mostly rendered in C19. Nave of 3 bays, arcade reconstructed after 1876. Chancel arch with triple columned responds and restored trumpet capitals carrying pointed arch of 2 orders. High above, a semi-circular arch blocked and wider than nave, perhaps from the church mentioned in 1086. Squint from aisle. Roof of 1876. Chancel is long, of 3 bays with late C19 roof. Fittings: all C19. Font, limestone, square, on 5 columns. Monuments: on north side of chancel, a wall-tomb, 1574. Limestone. A flush chest with 3 strapwork shields. Four-centred arch over with arms spandrels. Scrolled crest and date. Within arch a painted inscription to John Borwick (Berwick) and daughter. Also eight C19 and 1 x C20 brasses to Montague and other families. West wall of aisle has a moulded stone tablet, C18, to Jane Brooke, her mother and aunt. On south side of chancel, a framed wood fruit trencher of 1610 with a painted inscription reading 'Though hungrie meals be put in pot, yet concious cleare keepe without spot, do the keepe the corpse in quiet rest, than hee that thousands hath in chest'. (Pevsner Sir N., Buildings of England, WILTSHIRE)

Listing NGR: SU1400560792

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
311771
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Wiltshire, (1963)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 04 May 2001
Reference: IOE01/03689/20
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Andy Domeracki. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].