CHURCH OF ST PETER

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1364687
Date first listed:
27-May-1964
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST PETER, THE STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST PETER
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1364687.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Feb-2020 at 11:49:16.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST PETER, THE STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Wiltshire (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Milton Lilbourne
National Grid Reference:
SU 18990 60444

Details

MILTON LILBOURNE THE STREET SU 16 SE (west side) 6/52 Church of St. Peter 27.5.64 II*

Anglican parish church. C13, C14, C15, restored 1875 by J.L. Pearson. Flint and limestone, ashlar to tower. Lead and tiled roofs. Nave with north aisle and south porch, chancel, and west tower. South porch gabled, door with large mask terminals to a segmental hood, angel above. Nave south wall rebuilt 1875, square headed windows with two 2-light clerestory windows with monolithic heads. Two-light chancel windows and C19 three-light east window. Tower, C15, 2 stage with angle buttresses and stair in south east corner. Low west door and window over. Two-light bell openings and crenellated parapet and crocketed pinnacles. Interior: Nave has C13 four-bay arcade to north aisle, round columns and capitals, and some with spurred bases. Walls replastered in C19. Chancel arch of 2 chamfered orders dying into C13 responds. Large tower arch. Roof open, probably C19. Chancel largely refitted in C19, three-bay arch-braced roof on carved head corbels. Mouldings under east window. Aisle has arched wall tomb, the chest missing but carved back and panelled soffit, and reset fragmentary encaustic tiles at floor level. Fittings: Font, under tower, octagonal bowl C19, on C13 five-columned base. Pulpit reconstructed with C17 carved boards. Readers desk similar. Pews all late C17 panelled work restored in C19. Vestry screen in aisle also contains C17 panelling. Organ late 019 in carved oak enclosure. Glass: Fragments of medieval glass in head of chancel south window. Brass: Unfixed in chancel, of 1705 to John Michell. Monuments: Chancel; wall tablet, early C19, to Rev John Starkie Jackson, died 1822. In Nave; lead plaque, 1823 to Elizabeth Richmond Wells. Wall tablet to Lieut William Gale, died 1888, detailing his career. In Aisle; two wall tablets, white on red marble, to Gladys Stewart died 1903, by Lloyd of Bedwyn, and William Butcher, died 1821, by Reeves of Bath. Arms of 1782 over chancel arch, also paternoster, creed and commandment boards. Furniture: Small mid C18 chest with 2 fielded panels. Caucasian runner, C19. (Pevsner, Buildings of England, Wiltshire.)

Listing NGR: SU1899060444

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
311685
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Wiltshire, (1963)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 13 Oct 1999
Reference: IOE01/00456/07
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr B.J.W. Heath. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].