CHURCH OF ST MARY

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1364926
Date first listed:
11-Jul-1967
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY, CHURCH HILL

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1364926.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 28-Feb-2020 at 00:18:56.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY, CHURCH HILL

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Warwickshire
District:
Warwick (District Authority)
Parish:
Cubbington
National Grid Reference:
SP 34392 68338

Details

CUBBINGTON Church Hill (west side)

23/147 Church of St Mary

11.7.67

GV I

Parish church. Consists of chancel, flanked by modern organ chamber and vest- ries, clerestoried nave with north and south aisles, south porch and west tower. Earliest part of existing fabric is south arcade of nave dating from early C12. About end of C12 tower added at west. Aisles rebuilt during C13, to which period the south doorway belongs, but windows belong to C14 when chancel rebuilt. In 1885 north arcade rebuilt, both aisles extended eastwards to form vestries, and porch rebuilt. Nave and chancel roofs renewed in 1899. External masonry of medieval portions is of red sandstone ashlar, extensions to aisles, top courses of tower, battlements, and wall of south aisle in grey sandstone. In chancel modern east window of three lights with reticulated tracery. Windows on north and south are modern, each of two trefoiled lights with a quatrefoil in head. In south wall an aumbry, a piscina and three sedilia. In north wall a tomb recess or Easter Sepulchre. Chancel arch is two-centred, of two hollow chamfered orders which are continuous without imposts. In the nave the clere- story windows of which there are two on each side are of late C15 type. South arcade which is of early C12 date is of three semicircular arches of two plain orders carried on circular shafts and responds. Cushion capitals carved with scalloping. North arcade rebuilt in 1885 is of three two-centred arches carried on two octagonal columns and responds. In north wall of north aisle are modern windows of two-trefoiled lights, a door of plain chamfered jambs and two-centred head, and a square aumbrey recess. In south wall of south aisle the windows are modern but door has elaborate mouldings typical of C13. Also a double recess with moulded two-centred head one of which is a piscina. Tower is set slightly to south of axis of body of church. It is entered from nave by a two-centred arch of three-chamfered orders. Externally the tower is of two stages with clasping buttresses on west angles. West window is a narrow lancet deeply splayed and belfry windows are of two-lights with four-centred heads. C15 embattled parapet with crocketted pinnacles. Interior: C12 flower-pot shaped font on modern base standing in tower. On east wall of nave, an oval carved wooded monument to Captain Abraham Murcott, drowned off Scilly Isles in 1702. Rich foilage and at foot a boat supported by a sailor and Neptune. Mid C19 communion rails in heavy brasswork by Skidmore of Coventry. Royal Coat of Arms - oval late C18.



Listing NGR: SP3439268339

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
308016
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 10 Sep 2001
Reference: IOE01/03072/35
Rights: Copyright IoE Miss Ruth Charlton. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].