CHURCH OF ST PETER

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1365169
Date first listed:
25-Mar-1968
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST PETER, MANCETTER ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST PETER
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1365169.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 28-Feb-2020 at 04:35:20.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST PETER, MANCETTER ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Warwickshire
District:
North Warwickshire (District Authority)
Parish:
Mancetter
National Grid Reference:
SP 32036 96694

Details

MANCETTER MANCETTER ROAD SP3296 (West side) 11/103 Church of St. Peter 25/03/68 GV I Church. Early C13, but with C12 origins. Late C13 north aisle and arcade, widened C14; south aisle and arcade early C15. Chancel altered late C14/early C15. Mid/late C14 tower has C15 upper parts. Late C15 clerestory. Early C17 south porch. Restored and vestry added 1876 at a cost of £2,770; further restored 1911 and 1930. Various sandstones: chancel has ashlar east wall with upper part of squared coursed stone, and side walls of coursed rubble. Nave has east and west walls of ashlar; clerestory of coursed rubble, red to north and grey to south. North aisle and tower of ashlar. South aisle east and south walls of ashlar with coursed rubble above; west wall of coursed rubble. Porch of brick with stone plinth. Old plain-tile roofs have coped gabled parapets. Aisled nave, chancel, west tower, south porch, north west vestry. Decorated chancel and north aisle, Perpendicular south aisle, clerestory and tower. 3-bay chancel, 3-bay nave. Chancel has splay plinth, and moulded sill course. C15 diagonal buttresses; C13 buttresses of 5 offsets to north and of one offset with stop-chamfered corners to south. East window of c.1876, of 5 cinqfoiled lights without tracery, has hood mould. C16 south door below central window has chamfered 4-centred arch. 3-light north and south windows are similar to east window. Nave clerestory has 4-centre arched windows of 2 trefoiled lights. South aisle has moulded and chamfered plinth and east diagonal buttress with moulded offset. 3-light Perpendicular windows throughout. Central porch has stone doorway with moulded jambs, imposts and round arch, and C19 double-leaf doors. Gable has sundial. Moulded south doorway inside. East wall has strapwork memorial to John Blisse 1633. North aisle has splay plinth. Diagonal and 2 north buttresses of 2 offsets. 5-light windows. East window has fine reticulated tracery and hood mould. Gable has cross finial. Mid C14 eastern window with flowing tracery; western and taller west windows have cusped intersecting tracery. Tower of 3 stages has moulded plinth and string courses. First stage is blank to west. Former processional passage through from north to south has late C14 archways,with C18 woodwork framing window to north; C19/C20 stonework and C20 door below glazed arch to south. Second stage has window of 2 trefoiled lights. Bell chamber has cinqfoiled 2-light openings with transom and hood mould. Moulded parapet and pyramid plain-tile roof, probably C18. Interior is plastered. Chancel has C15 niches with moulded jambs and restored cinqfoiled gabled canopy with crocketed pinnacles to left and right. C15 south piscina has moulded jambs, trefoiled ogee head and hood mould with head stops. Locker in north wall has C19 doors 4-bay C17 double queen strut roof has cambered tie beans, moulded wall plates and slightly curved wind braces. Cl9 moulded chancel arch has a triplet of very long, thin shafts with moulded capitals and bases, and hood mould with head stops. Reconstructed 5-bay kingpost nave roof, possibly with some reused old timbers, has moulded tie beams and wall plates. Large west lancet. C13 north arcade of 2 orders has octagonal pillars with moulded capitals. Late C20 glazing. Aisle has reconstructed C15 roof of 3 1/2 bays has stop-moulded tie beams, arched braces with moulded pendants to collar beams, and curved wind braces forming arches; intermediate trusses without tie beams. Perpendicular south arcade of 2 chamfered orders has transversely elongated octagonal pillars. 6-bay arched brace aisle roof, possibly C17, has chamfered tie and collar beams. Fittings: font has part of late C15 octagonal bowl with thick ribs and shields: it was found in the vicarage garden in 1910. Late C19 pulpit, stalls, etc. Organ on C20 stand at west end of nave is probably C19. Stained glass: east window has some fine C14 and C15 glass from various windows, including parts of a Tree of Jesse which probably belong to that at Merevale (q.v.), and a C14 St. Margaret; some C19 patterning. Chancel north and south windows have other fragments. Monuments: chancel: Edward Hinton 1689. Bust in front of oval recess with winged heads. 2 inscribed wood boards with swan-neck pediments, said to be of 1833 commemorate the Martyrs of Mancetter, Robert Glover and Joyce Lewis. North aisle: Abraham 1743 and Mary Bracebridge 1745: shaped panel with cartouche on bracket, and a panel below with winged head. Thoedosia Bracebridge 1742. Obelisk panel with cartouche and a shaped inscription panel below with consoles and apron. South aisle: Elizabeth Simmonds 1744. Drapery panel. (Buildings of England: Warwickshire: pp 346-347; VCH: Warwickshire: Vol IV, p122-125)

Listing NGR: SP3203696695

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
309196
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Doubleday, AH, Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Warwick, (1947), 122-5
Pevsner, N, Wedgwood, A, The Buildings of England: Warwickshire, (1966), 346-7

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 18 Jul 2004
Reference: IOE01/10838/31
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Peter Garratt. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].