This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1365179



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Warwickshire

District: North Warwickshire

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Polesworth

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 23-Nov-1951

Date of most recent amendment: 23-May-1988

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 309314

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


POLESWORTH SK2OSESE 5/78 Pooley Hall, attached former 23/11/51 chapel and Pooley Hall Farmhouse (Formerly listed as Pooley Hall)

- 11*

Country house, now 2 houses, and attached former chapel. Said to have been built in 1509 by Sir Thomas Cokayne. Altered 1692 and C18 some C19/C20 and C20 alterations. English bond brick with sandstone dressings. Old plain-tile roofs; brick ridge, external and lateral stacks, Complex plan of 3 separate ranges linked by curtain walls. Domestic Tudor style. Principal fronts are towards the canal, Pooley Hall to left is 2 storeys; 4-window range, On the left is a 2-sore 6-light embattled bay, largely of stone; 3-light return sides and end lights to first floor are blocked, Wide external stack has upper parts rebuilt; 2-light wood mullioned window in base. Irregular fenestration, mostly of 3-light windows. Stone mullioned windows of [-centred arched lights throughout. Left return side has 4-light and 2-light attic windows, and external stack. To rear is a twin-gabled 2-bay front rebuilt in 1692. Blacked door to left. Late C20 half-glazed door and porch. Leaded wood casements with top lights, of 4 lights to ground floor and 3 lights above, with segmental arches, Lower lean-to addition across left return side. Right return side has stone buttress and blocked 3-light muilioned window to first floors Leaded 3-light C18 windows, Interior is said to have beamed ceilings and C16 and C17 panelling. Former chapel is linked by a curtain wall with a lead-latticed glazed corridor with central Cl9 ribbed door or; its west side. Chapel is Perpendicular style. bays. East window of 3 stepped lancets with 4-centred hood mould. Shallow-pitched roof has embattled gable parapets. South side has one-, 2- and 3-light straight-headed windows. West front has chamfered 4-centred doorway with moulded spandrels, hood mould and panelled stops, and ancient panelled door with applied ribs. Straight-headed 3-light window above. Small 2-storey turret to left has single light. Upper part is octagonal, with small opening to alternate sides, North side has doorway. Pooley Hall Farmhouse to north has a 3-storey embattled tower, with splay courses between storeys. Blocked straight-headed 4-centred doorway on right; altered and blocked openings above, Chamfered stone mullioned windows, of 2 lights to ground floor and 3 lights above. Stair turret on left has canted top corner. Irregular one-storey C20 range on right. To rear is a 2-storey 2-window range with stone-coped gable parapet and kneelers. Rebuilt west wall has 3- and 4-light stone mullioned windows with cornices. Left return side has chamfered Tudor-arched doorway with hood mould, probably C20, and panelled door, C21' four-light mullioned window to left. Small C16 brick mullioned 3-light window above, Lateral stack on right has shaft with pilaster strips and string course. Right return side has brick diapering. 2-storey porch has blocked 4-centred doorway and single light above, Similar blocked doorways to left and right. 2- and 3-light brick chamfered mullioned windows. Interior not inspected, (Buildings of England: Warwickshire: p374; VCH: Warwickshire: Vol IV, pp187-188)

Listing NGR: SK2588502817

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Doubleday, AH, Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Warwick, (1947), 187-88
Pevsner, N, Wedgwood, A, The Buildings of England: Warwickshire, (1966), 374

National Grid Reference: SK 25885 02817


© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1365179 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Sep-2017 at 11:57:59.

End of official listing