CHURCH OF ST MARY THE VIRGIN

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1365492
Date first listed:
22-Aug-1966
Date of most recent amendment:
30-Jul-1986
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY THE VIRGIN, CHURCH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARY THE VIRGIN
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1365492.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Feb-2020 at 16:58:28.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY THE VIRGIN, CHURCH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Wiltshire (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Great Bedwyn
National Grid Reference:
SU 27756 64277

Details

GREAT BEDWYN CHURCH STREET SU 26 SE (south-east side) 11/82 Church of St Mary the Virgin (formerly listed as the Parish Church of St Mary) 22.8.66 I Anglican parish church. Late C12, C13 and C14 and heavily restored 1853-5 by T.H. Wyatt. Flint with limestone dressings, stone tower and putlog holes. Lead and tile roofs. Nave with aisles, transepts, central tower, chancel and south vestry. Two light windows to aisles, quatrefoil headed to north aisle, square headed to south aisle, C14 but restored. Clerestory 2-light square headed windows. Three-light east and west windows, both C19. Chancel C13 trefoiled lancets, walls part rendered. Vault of Ailesbury family beneath east end. Tower of 2 stages, 2 light bell openings and cusped openwork parapet. North-east stair tower of 1840, Greek inscription on south aisle buttress and initials CA, II 1684, and graffiti of cross-crosslets. Interior: Nave of 4 bays, pointed Transitional arcade of bold chevron and billet mouldings on square abaci and round columns, the capitals strongly carved on a varied scalloped theme. Much restored. Roofs throughout of 1853-5; to nave hammerbeam trusses with carved cusping. Crossing of early C14, chamfered arches of equal height and contemporary 2 bay transepts, said to be built by Sir Adam de Stokke before 1313. Chancel replaces shorter chancel known from excavation, 5 bays with C19 roof. C19 vestry. Fittings: Font: high tub on clustered Purbeck shafts, 1854. Pulpit: in crossing 1854. Limestone chequerwork with crocketed gabled motifs and wooden pulpit in nave provided 1982. Organ in south transept by T.W.Walker, 1888. Chancel screen, 1852, wrought iron by J.Easeby of Collingbourne Ducis replacing orginal C14 screen of oak, now across north transept. Communion rail C19 and encaustic tiles. In south transept, naturalistic carved piscina and credence shelf with nodding crocketted ogee canopy, mid C14. Nave, a mutilated figure of seated Queen of Heaven carved into east respond of north arcade, said to be undamaged in 1860. Monuments: Chancel: on north side, wall chest tomb with effigy, 1590, limestone of Sir JOHN SEYMOUR, died 1530, father of Lord Protector Somerset and grandfather to Jane Seymour, reset here from Easton Royal priory in 1590. Pevsner says effigy is of 1530. Armoured, with hands in prayer, resting on helm with carved wood wings, lion at his feet and sword by his side. Above, dedicatory inscription set in wall with gadrooning and arms with ribbons. Chest has shields (restored), and much ribboning. Wall monument, 1706, black and white marbles, to FRANCES DEVEREUX, Duchess of Somerset, died 1674 and daughter of Earl of Essex. Waisted table with 3 stages of panels over surmounted by her bust. Naked angels at sides. S. Transept: Wall tombs, pointed wave moulded arches, to left containing cross legged knight holding shield and drawing sword. Said to be Sir Adam de Stokke, builder of transepts. To right, his son, Sir Roger de Stokke, died 1333, formerly with long footed brass. Linear cusping at back. Wall tablet, 1862, white marble sarcophagus on slate, to LOUISA POTTER. North Transept: 3 wall tablets, white marble on slate, 1839 to WILLIAM GALE PIKE, 1829 WILLIAM PIKE, and 1879, to ELIZABETH LIDDERDALE. Nave has four C20 memorials. Brasses: Chancel, 1510, to JOHN SEYMOUR, eldest son of Sir John. Devotional figure and inscription. Small brass, to Lord BEAUCHAMP, inscribed BELLOCAMP' ERAM GRAIA GENETRICE SEMERVS TRES HABVI NATOS, EST QVIBVS VNA SOROR. North Transept; THOMAS DOGESON, vicar, 1501. Figured wallpaintings in north and south transepts, discovered in 1842 and re-covered. Glass, some good Victorian glass, including a window by Street, and in chancel, C16 yellow stained glass with arms of Jane Seymour, badge of Prince of Wales, Tudor rose and imperial crown, all brought from Wolf Hall in 1905. (References: Pevsner, Sir N. Buildin s of England: WILTSHIRE. ECCLESIOLOGIST, 14, 380 (1.10.1853 ; Church Guide.)

Listing NGR: SU2775964271

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
310806
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Church of St Mary the Virgin Church Guide Great Bedwyn Wiltshire
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Wiltshire, (1963)
'Ecclesiologist' in 1 October, , Vol. 14, (1853), 380

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 28 Sep 2000
Reference: IOE01/02311/05
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Simon Mack. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].