CHURCH OF ST PETER
Heritage Category: Listed Building
List Entry Number: 1365532
Date first listed: 27-May-1964
Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST PETER
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1365532 .pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 19-Feb-2019 at 03:06:10.
Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST PETER
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
District: Wiltshire (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference: SU 11723 56057
CHARLTON CHARLTON VILLAGE
SU 15 NW
2/7 Church of St. Peter
Anglican parish church. C16 and 1857-8 by J.L. Pearson. Medieval
work in ashlar limestone with lead roofs. C19 work in flint banded
with limestone ashlar and brick. Tiled roof. North porch with
tower over and north chapel, all C15-C16. Nave and chancel in one,
rebuilding original work. Medieval work has 3 and 4-light trefoil-
headed windows in deep casement-moulded reveals and hoodmoulds with
sculptured and heraldic terminals. Crenellated parapet and
gargoyles. Door under tower has wave mould and arms in spandrels.
Two stages, with 2 tiers of pointed lights to the upper stage.
Crenellated parapet and corner pinnacles. Inner door is also wave
moulded. C19 work has tightly cusped 2-light Perpendicular style
windows, brick relieving arches and eaves courses but some brick
decoration to chancel. East window of 3 lights.
Interior: Porch has squint through north chapel walls to High
Altar. North chapel has a high trefoiled piscina and heraldic
corbels flanking east window. Three-centred arch to nave with
panelled soffit. Moulded timber ceiling. This chapel appears to
be the Chancey chapel founded or embellished before 1524. Nave of
6 bays. Fine open timber arch-braced roof on corbels, with 2 tiers
of windbraces. Chancel roof slightly lower, trussed rafters.
Piscina with shelf and south chancel window sill lowered as
sedilia. The interior is a good example of Pearson's early church
work. All fittings C19, font octagonal, stone. Pulpit of oak.
Chancel screen C15-C16 with single light panels with crossed
tracery, painted. Screen to chapel also late medieval. Organ.
Monuments: Nave, north wall: 3 wall tablets, white on grey
marble. Centre, 1783 by Westmacott Jnr. Inscription on drapery on
arrow. To Thomas, Henry, and Sarah Fowle of Wilsford and
Durrington. To left, Pedimented and aproned aedicule, 1763, by
Hicks of Newbury, to Sarah Mundy; to right, plain tablet, 1820 by
King of Bath, to Mary Jane Bloxam (Née Fowle). Nave south wall:
Two white marble tablets on grey, to east, suspended scroll, 1860
by C. Salmon of Devizes, to Henry and Mary Wansborough. To west;
plain tablet of 1932 to Col. Thomas Fowle. In chancel: Eight wall
tablets, white marble on grey. North side (a) tapered panel, by
Hare of Marlborough to Charles Pinckney, died 1820. (b) Oval,
obelisk over panel, by C. Viner of Bath, to William Pinckney, died
1811. (c) Gabled panel, to Robert Pinckney, died 1810. (d) Arms
over panel, to Pinckney family, including Marshall of the Horse to
Queen Anne and George I, C18. (e) Panel, arms above, cherub below,
to Francis Gifford of Upavon, died 1802, recording benefaction.
(f) Plain tablet, to John Price of Wolfhall, died 1837. On south
side; (g) Corniced tablet by Rogers of Bath, to Pinckney family,
1862. (h) C20 terrazzo tablet to recent members of the Pinckney
family. Flanking the Altar are 2 decalogue boards in stone Gothic
frames. Brasses: North Chapel, 1524, to William and Marion Chancey,
figures with arms over, and inscription recording building oe
embellishment of chapel. By reading desk brasses to John Mundy,
died 1674, and Bridgett Mundy, died 1691. In the churchyard lies
Mary, the wife of Stephen Duck, the 'Thresher Poet', born in
Charlton in 1765. He was a protege of Queen Caroline and who
became keeper of her library at Richmond in 1735. Ordained 1746.
He is commemorated by an annual feast and toasts in the Charlton
Cat P.H. (1821, altered).
(W.A.M. 319-23; Pevsner Buildings of England, Wiltshire.)
Listing NGR: SU1172356057
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
Legacy System number: 310958
Legacy System: LBS
Books and journals
Pevsner, N , The Buildings of England: Wiltshire, (1975)
'Wiltshire Archaeological and Natural History Magazine' in Wiltshire Archaeological and Natural History Magazine, (1869), 319-23
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing