Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MATTHEW
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1365552.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 07-Apr-2020 at 09:11:46.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Wiltshire (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SU 12866 55852


RUSHALL CHURCH LANE SU 17 NW (north side) 2/133 Church of St. Matthew 27.5.64 II* Anglican parish church. C14, C16 and 1812. Restored 1905. Limestone ashlar facing clunch, and brick nave and chancel. Copper roof, slate to chancel. Nave with north chapel, west tower, and chancel. Tower is late C15-C16, of 2 stages, wth 2 openings in upper ringing and bell stage. Crenellated parapet and corner pinnacles. 3-light west window. Only the north east corner of the nave and chancel arch survive of the medieval church, but buttresses, keeled below lowest offset establish size. Nave and chancel rebuilt in Flemish brickwork in 1812, with simple 2-light 'Y' tracery windows on south side. Chapel at right angles, 1789, for John Poore, with 2-light north window of bar tracery and colonettes. Chapel and chancel restored 1905 by C.E. Ponting, and lancet to chancel set with tracery. Entrance at west end of nave through shallow porch on south, blocked on north side. Good organ by Hill & Co. Interior: Wide nave with flat ceiling. C14-C15 chancel arch,. socketed for rood beam. Chancel has C19 braced rafter roof. Priest's door on south side embellished 1913. Medieval piscina in north-east corner of nave. Tower arch tall with panelled soffite. Fittings: Font, C12 square with plain arcading, on octagonal base standing on upturned large C12 fluted capital. Pews of C16, panelled with plain tracery carved on bench ends. Creed boards on east wall. Monuments: North Chapel: Large white marble tablet, 1788, panel with patera frieze and lotus cornice, relief over. Arms below to Edward Poore. Nave: By pulpit; wall panel of limestone. C16, two recessed panels with odd shaped shields, one inscribed WP, all within arabesque borders. Also behind pulpit, small inscribed tablet to Roger Pinckney, died 1706. Five wall tablets of white marble on black, on east wall (a) scroll, to JOHN HAYWARD, died 1869. South wall: (b) Drapery inscribed with arms over, by Wiltshire of Swindon, to GEORGE PINCKNEY, died 1883. (c) Great War tablet. North wall: (d) Chaste white tablet to DAVID EDMONDS of St. Mary le Strand, died 1812. (e) Tall tablet, early C19, to RICHARD STRATTON, died 1810, and family. Chancel: Five wall tablets: North: (f) Grey tablet on limestone background to Rev. THOMAS GIFFARD, died 1746. (g) White on grey marble, to FRANCIS GIFFARD of Upavon, died 1802. (h) Tablet by Harrison of Devizes, to curate Rev. KENRICK PECK died 1837, and family. South side: (j) Lozenge, to SARAH PECK, died 1802. (k) Slate tablet to ANN BAXTER, died 1670. Poem. Over south door, Royal Arms, C18. In tower: Hatchment. Glass: In chancel window, C15 panels of Crucifiction and the Madonna. Arms above. North-east nave window has a stained glass window of 1979 by A.E. Buss. (Pevsner: Buildings of England; Wiltshire.)

Listing NGR: SU1286655852


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
Pevsner, N , The Buildings of England: Wiltshire, (1975)


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 12 Sep 2002
Reference: IOE01/09743/02
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr John Rendle. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].