CHURCH OF ST PETER AD VINCULA

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1365589
Date first listed:
27-Feb-1958
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST PETER AD VINCULA, CHURCH LANE

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1365589.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Apr-2021 at 11:41:06.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST PETER AD VINCULA, CHURCH LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Wiltshire (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Broad Hinton
National Grid Reference:
SU 10534 76327

Details

SU 17 NW BROAD HINTON CHURCH LANE 2/20 Church of St. Peter ad Vincula 27.2.58 I Anglican parish church. C13, C15, 1634-5, restored 1879-80 by C.E. Ponting. Graded sarsen boulders and stones, chancel coursed squared sarsen. Tower of limestone ashlar. Stone slate roofs and some lead. Nave and south porch. North vestry of 1843. Chancel C12 rebuilt 1879, with south organ chamber of 1880. C15 west tower. Porch C17, restored C19 with side lights and sundial in gable over 2-centred arched door. Inner door C13, 2-centred and with hood moulded with flattened leaf terminals. Nave and chancel have lancets, C17 but including some reused stone, and some paired, with C19 hood mouldings. Stepped triple lancets at east. Organ chamber, formerly a chapel, has re-set C13 round arched door. West tower of 3 stages, with angle buttresses and a west door with a large 3-light window over. Crenellated parapet with crocketed pinnacles. Stair in south-east angle rises above parapet. Interior: Nave wide and rich, replacing former arcades. Five-bay tie beam trusses with hammer beams at collar level and many carved pendents, all of 1634-5. Rood stair in north wall and piscina in south wall. Some re-set fragments including a C12 carved window head, a moulded C13 arch, and impost capital with leaves. Further west another arch head. C19 chancel arch leads to 3-bay chancel with fine C19 pine roof of arched braced collar trusses and heavy windbraces. Window sill lowered as sedilia and large painted piscina. C19. Original chancel arch reset as opening to organ chamber. Four floor slabs, two with indents. Fittings: Font, C19, octagonal and stencilled. Pulpit, 1843, incorporating earlier rail and linenfold panels, and painted inscription. Simple unfixed low chair screens. Pews and choir stalls C19. Organ by Bryceson Bros. Inlaid marble C19 reredos. Furniture: C18 three-drawer dresser in nave, and carved C19 seat in chancel with 2 late C17 basket backed chairs and a stool. Glass: Four chancel windows by Clayton and Bell. Monuments: Nave, north wall: marble aedicule, C18, pilasters supporting open pediment and arched panel with putto over, to Ann Hughes, died 1786. Inlaid limestone tablet to John Smith, 1879, and Gothic wall monument to Mary Ruddle Brown and child by Osmond of Sarum, 1832. South side; limestone 6-poster monument of 1597 to Sir Thomas Wroughton, sheriff, he, without hands, kneeling with wife behind in widow's hood on table of tomb, their 8 children on frieze below. Asymmetrical arches with angels in spandrels supporting entablature and crestings. Three early C19 tablets, Rev. William Andrews by Franklin of Purton, and two Hughes tablets by King of Bath. In chancel, north side; white marble wall monument, C17 a tablet flanked by pilasters supporting segmental pediment and coloured arms, to William Glanville, died 1680 and wife who bore 26 years "sine querela actos". Recessed monument with rounded top and bottom, containing full-size armed figure of Col. F. Glanville, speaker of the House of Commons, killed at Battle of Bridgewater, 1645. He is of alabaster, flanked with helm and gauntlets, and holds a metal staff and cloth banner. Above, his actual helmet and gauntlets, and his sword over arms. At east end a limestone tablet with open ogee pediment and arms, and scroll supports to a recessed slate panel to John Glanville, servant at law to Charles I and II, died 1673. On south side, an important wall tomb, 1559. A chest with 3 quatrefoiled panels, each with arms, and above an arch with panelled soffite with incised emblems of the Passion, flanked by pilasters carrying entablature with ligatured legend to ELISABETH BE THE GRACE OF GOD QUENE OF ENGLAND THE OF FRANCES. Pea pods flank central arms with angel supporters. On rear, in organ chamber, a strapwork panel with inscription to Sir William Wroughton. Also wall tablet. Early C18, white marble, panel flanked by pilasters supporting segmental pediment and arms, to Mrs Frances Stone, nee Gibbs. Wall tablet in organ chamber, 1866, by King of Bath, to William Brown. Brass of 1826 and behind pulpit a brass of 1682 to the Paris family and ancestors. At west end of nave, two commandment boards, and 3 hatchments with further one under tower. Also under tower, 3 benefaction boards of C18 and C19 recording charities of 1614, 1741 and 1848-50, and Royal Arms of mid C18. Miscellaneous: In organ chamber, a wall tomb, C13-C14, re-set, and in porch, a coffin with head recess. (VCH, xii.116f: Pevsner, Buildings of England - Wiltshire)

Listing NGR: SU1053376326

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
311264
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Crowley, B A, The Victoria History of the County of Wiltshire, (1983)
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Wiltshire, (1975)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 04 Sep 2001
Reference: IOE01/04354/28
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr B.J.W. Heath. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].