CHURCH OF ST PETER AND ST PAUL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1365859
Date first listed:
08-Dec-1955
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST PETER AND ST PAUL, CHURCH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST PETER AND ST PAUL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1365859.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Feb-2020 at 00:28:23.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST PETER AND ST PAUL, CHURCH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Oxfordshire
District:
Cherwell (District Authority)
Parish:
Deddington
National Grid Reference:
SP 46750 31699

Details

SP4631 DEDDINGTON CHURCH STREET (North side) 8/153 Church of St. Peter and St. 08/12/55 Paul GV II* Church. Early C13, late C13, C14 and C15; tower rebuilt and church repaired mid/late C17; repaired 1843, and restored 1858-68 by G.E. Street. Coursed squared marlstone with limestone-ashlar dressings; lead roofs. Chancel, vestry, nave, north and south aisles and porches, west tower. Early-C13 chancel was lengthened to 4 bays in late C13 and has 2-light windows with Y tracery separated by buttresses; one bay on the south has been altered to accommodate the organ and the C19 vestry projects on the north. Both sides have restored C15 square-headed clerestory windows in contemporary walling. Large 3-light east window with geometrical tracery is by Street. Broad south aisle has, to east, a Tudor-arched window with 4 cinquefoil-headed lights above an arched subterranean entry to the crypt. South wall has, to right, a fine 5-light early-C15 window with drop tracery in a 4-centre-arched casement-mould surround, which is attributed to Richard Winchcombe, the designer of the chancel at Adderbury Church (q.v.); a 3-light early-C14 window has cusped intersecting tracery, and a 3-light C15 window to left of the porch has a depressed arch and drop tracery incorporating a transom. C19 porch is flanked by chamfered arched recesses in the aisle walls, and it shelters a C13 doorway with a deeply-moulded arch. 5-light west windows of aisles, with intersecting tracery and head stops, are C17 and contemporary with the tower; a plainer 3-light window in the north wall is probably also a restoration of the same date. C17 north porch has a moulded Tudor-arched doorway and a quatrefoil-panelled parapet with corner pinnacles; two 3-light C14 windows to left of it have geometrical tracery. East window matches that of the south aisle. Nave clerestory has, each side, six 3-light 4-centre-arched windows with Perpendicular drop tracery, and has a 4-light window over the chancel. All roofs are shallow pitched and have plain limestone parapets. Tower, rebuilt after its fall in 1634, was not completed until c.1683. It is of 4 stages with massive diagonal buttresses, and has a crenellated limestone parapet with 8 large crocketed pinnacles. Moulded 4-centre-arched west doorway has hood-stops carved as an eagle and a monkey, and above it is a Classical entablature carried on bulbous pilasters. 4-light west window has Gothic-Survival tracery, and above it large re-used stone figures of Saints Peter and Paul flank a rectangular window. Bell-chamber stage has 2-light openings with Y tracery, and on the east are 2 moulded lead C18 rainwater heads. Interior: chancel has a fine late-C13 sedilia and piscina, incorporated in a 4-bay arcade with detached shafts and leaf capitals. C13 chancel arch of 3 chamfered orders, the inner a C19 restoration. 4-bay nave arcades, of 2 chamfered orders with circular and octagonal columns are C13 but were probably partly rebuilt in C17. Tall tower arch is C17. South aisle has a mutilated c14 piscina, a chamfered tomb recess above which steps rise, and a tall doorway formerly leading to a wall stair. North aisle has a C13 piscina, near the blocked entry to a rood stair, and the early-C13 north doorway, now internal, has a fine moulded arch and detached shafts with stiff-leaf capitals. North aisle roof, with moulded cambered beams, is probably C17; nave roof may incorporate old timbers but was rebuilt 1843; south aisle roof is C19 and chancel roof C20. North porch has a unusual C17 stone saucer vault. Fittings include a fine traceried C15 screen, a font of 1664 and C18 communion rails, but are mostly C19. Monuments include a C14 effigy of a judge, part of a late-C14 brass, and a small panelled chest tomb with indented reredos and a fragment of the brass inscription to William Billing (d.1533); Baroque wall tablets commemorate Beta Belchier (d.1686) and Francis Wakefield (d.1730). Small painted Hanoverian Royal Arms. Stained glass includes east window of 1888 by C.E. Kempe and 2 windows of 1923 and 1936 by A.J. Davies of the Bromsgrove Guild. (Buildings of England: Oxfordshire: pp568-70; VCH: Oxfordshire: Vol XI, pp113-15)

Listing NGR: SP4675031699

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
243877
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Sherwood, J , The Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, (1974), 568-70
Salzman, L F, The Victoria History of the County of Oxford, (1983), 113-15

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 03 Nov 2001
Reference: IOE01/05978/05
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Robert Madsen. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].