Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1365955.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 08-Apr-2020 at 07:59:02.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Wiltshire (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SU 06968 61566


ALL CANNINGS THE STREET SU 06 SE (north east side) 7/8 Church of All Saints

19.3.62 II*

Anglican parish church. C12, C15, C16 and 1869 by Henry Weaver. Ashlar limestone, with slate roof to nave, lead to tower and aisles, and tiles to chancel. Cruciform plan of Norman origin, and aisles to nave and north and south porches. East chapel to south transept, the Beauchamp chapel. Transepts and aisles crenellated over low pitched roofs, and fine carved parapets to transept and south east chapel. Three light windows to aisles and panelled Perpendicular tracery to transept gables and west window. Chancel 1678 rebuilt in 1868-9 of Bath stone, with paired lancets and triple east window having carvings in arched string. Lombardic corbel table, and carved copings. Central tower is of 3 stages with plain parapet and square stair tower rising higher in north east corner. Angle buttresses throughout. South porch has reset triple C13 shafts and capitals, and a square headed inner door with casement mouldings. Three mass dials to south transept gable end. Interior: Nave arcade of three bays on round columns and differing octagonal capitals supporting double chamfered arches. Roof of 1638 with intermediate trusses and plastered vault. South aisle has moulded beams and purlins as the Old Rectory (c/f) and C16 roof to north aisle. Crossing piers incorporate two short C12 columns with trumpet scallop capitals. South transept has a simple piscina, the north now the vestry and organ chamber with a braced rafter roof. Chancel Tractarian, with windows with marble internal shafts incorporated in continuous wall arcading with quatrefoils over. Three bay wooden ribbed vault. Alabaster gabled reredos with relief of Last Supper, and texts in trefoiled flanking niches. Tiled floor with initials of Methuen family. Fittings: Font; C15 low octagonal bowl with quatrefoiled panels and conical carved cover dated 1633 T.M. Pulpit, late C19, octagonal. Pews and choir stalls also C19. Altar rail on wrought iron supports. Monuments: In nave; on west wall, two wall tablets, to north a pedimented panel, marble, to John Fowle, died 1772, to south, marble panel with pilasters and vase on grey pyramid, to William Fowle, died 1796. North Aisle: West wall, a large limestone aedicule with broken pediment containing a hatted bust crest. Triglyph frieze. Inscription to Gartrude Ernle, a child, died 1715, Elizabeth Ernle, died 1729 and father added, Walter Ernle, died 1733. Also Rev. Sir John Ernle, Bt. died 1734. South Aisle: A large limestone tablet with thin Ionic paired columns, cornices and carved pediment surmounted with eagles. Arms at centre and various inscriptions to William Ernle, died 1581, and wife Jone. Wall tablet, coloured marbles, urn over pediment, to Richard Riggs, died 1774, and wife.

Marble aedicule with painted crest over, to John Nicholas, died 1737. North Transept: A baroque tablet on a death's head corbel, to David Cosens, died 1730. Beachampt Chapel: Three wall tablets to Sarah Hitchcock, 1872, by Rogers, a scroll. Henry Hitchcock, 1821, and Simon Pile Hitchcock, died 1850 and family, by Reeves of Bath. In chancel: North wall, white marble pedimented tablet with urn over and arms on apron, to William Fowle, died 1779, and various C19 brasses. Glass: Fragments of m edieval glass in heads of east windows of Chapel, and in transept windows. Chancel glass by Lavers and Barraud. (N. Pevsner: Buildings of England - Wiltshire, 85-6; V.C.H., Vol X, p 31)

Listing NGR: SU0696861566


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Wiltshire, (1963), 85-86
Pugh, RB, Crittall, E, The Victoria History of the County of Wiltshire, (1975), 31


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 28 May 2006
Reference: IOE01/15504/21
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr John Rendle. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].