Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1366162.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Sep-2020 at 00:37:35.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Calderdale (Metropolitan Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SE 05328 23269


SOWERBY BRIDGE FORE LANE AVENUE SE 0423 & SE 0523 (north side) 12/69 White Windows, Cheshire 15.11.66 Home - II House, now Cheshire Home. 1768 with probably earlier ranges. By John Carr for John Priestley (Kendall plll). Coursed squared stone with ashlar to entrance front; stone slate roof. 2½ storeys with basement, 7 bays, with 2 possibly-earlier wings to rear left and a further earlier wing projecting at right angles from left return set back and at higher level than main front due to slope of ground. Main (south- east) front: symmetrical facade. Plinth, rusticated basement, rusticated quoins rising as panelled pilasters on top floor, ground-floor band, moulded 1st- and 2nd-floor cornices. Double flight of steps leads up to main floor. It has iron handrail with wavy and decoratively-scrolled balusters and under it a C20 door masks original rusticated doorway. Main double-door with overlight and architrave set in surround with pulvinated frieze, cornice and swan-neck pediment. Basement has fixed 6-pane windows under lintels incised as flat arches; other windows have moulded architraves, sashes with glazing bars to ground and 1st floors, 6-pane sashes and C20 casements to 2nd floor. Hipped roof with 4 central corniced stacks linked by balustrade. C20 single-storey addition on left not of special interest. Rear: Venetian stair window has keyed plain stone surround and thick glazing bars. Moulded gutter brackets. On right, paired gabled wings project having quoins, flat-faced mullion windows and a doorway with tie-stone jambs. c1980 addition projecting on left not of special interest. Right return: 5 bays. Rusticated quoins, plain bands, moulded cornice. Sashes with glazing bars to ground-and lst- floors, all windows in raised plain surrounds. Left return: main block as right return, ground-floor masked by C20 glass lean-to (not of special interest) . On left earlier range projects having quoins and.; to right return, a 5-light flat- faced mullion window to lst floor (mullions recessed). Interior: entrance hall: remains of moulded cornice soffit, date inside front door (not seen at resurvey). Front left room has elaborate fireplace with floral frieze and over-mantel; moulded panels and cornice. Front right room has floral-decorated dentil cornice. Main stair: dog-leg, cantilevered, open-string, balustrade as to front steps with inter- mediate floral-decorated scrolled balusters, gun-barre1 newel, moulded handrail. Stair window has Ionic columns, elaborate cornice and over central light the Priestley coat of arms flanked by festoons. 1st-floor stair hall has moulded panels and cornice. Full-height back stairs: dog-leg, open-string with turned balusters and ramped handrail (partly-replaced). John Priestley bought the estate in 1765 and built the new house 1767-68. The stair hall and both stairs are almost identical to those at Haugh End House (q.v) which was also by Carr far Priestley's father-in-law, John Lea. John's son, Joseph, was a JP and the room now used as a shop was used as the Justices Room (Kendall, p1ll) - the name John is incised in the glass of one of the windows (not seen at resurvey). H P Kendall, 'Famous Sowerby Mansion', Halifax Antiquarian Society, Vol 3 (1906), pp93-lll.

Listing NGR: SE0532823269


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:



This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 14 Aug 2004
Reference: IOE01/11328/20
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Tony Dallimore. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].