CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS
- Heritage Category:
- Listed Building
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, CHURCH ROW
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1366240.pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 30-Mar-2020 at 21:19:16.
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, CHURCH ROW
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- East Riding of Yorkshire (Unitary Authority)
- National Grid Reference:
- TA 22769 28032
BURSTWICK CHURCH ROW
TA 22 NW
4/2 Church of All Saints 16.12.66 - I Parish church. C13 nave, early C14 south chapel, mid C15 tower incorporating mid C13 west window, C15 chancel, north aisle and north chapel. Restorations to chancel of 1830; restorations of 1853 included rebuilding south porch; restorations completed 1893 included reflooring, reseating, reroofing. Split cobbles to tower with ashlar facing to west side of first stage; cobbles to nave and south transept, ashlar to north aisle and chancel. Red brick to porch. Limestone ashlar dressings throughout. Slate roofs to nave, chancel and north aisle, lead roofs to south and north chapels, pantile roof to porch. West tower, 4-bay nave with south porch, transeptal south chapel and north aisle, 2-bay chancel with north chapel. 3-stage tower: moulded plinth, diagonal buttresses with offsets, weathered string courses between stages, stair lighting slits to south-west angle. First stage: pointed transomed 3-light west window with curvilinear tracery in hollow-chamfered reveal with hoodmould; trefoiled ogee-headed niche above with crocketed hood, carved corbel of angel holding shield, and flanking pinnacled buttress shafts. Second stage has slit- lights to north and south, and outline of earlier nave gable to east. Third stage: pointed 2-light traceried belfry openings with hollow-chamfered reveals; moulded string course, coped embattled parapet with bases of former angle pinnacles, and carved head corbels to each side supporting shafts for former central pinnacles. Nave: south side has triangular-headed 3-light window with Perpendicular tracery, lancet to left of porch inserted in 1853. South chapel: chamfered plinth, angle buttresses with offsets and crocketed gablets with finials: pointed 3-light south window (perhaps C13 reset) with partly-restored geometric tracery, double-chamfered reveal, moulded mullions and hoodmould with head stops; moulded string course, coped parapet with cross finial and plain pinnacles to gable. South porch: plinth capped with 3-course ovolo-moulded brick band, basket-arched outer doorway, tumbled-in brick to raised gable. Pointed chamfered inner door with hoodmould. North aisle and north chapel: moulded plinth, angle buttresses and buttresses between bays with offsets. Pointed door to nave of 2 hollow-chamfered orders with ornate hoodmould; single square-headed 2-light window, 5 square- headed 3-light windows with Perpendicular tracery (some partly restored). Similar 2-light west window and 3-light east window. Moulded string course, ridge-coped parapet. Chancel: moulded plinth, angle and mid-buttresses similar to north aisle and north chapel; pointed moulded south door, segmental-headed 3-light traceried windows (one with restored tracery); large segmental-headed 5-light east window with similar, partly-restored, tracery; moulded string course, ridge-coped parapet, rebuilt gable. Interior. 4-bay north arcade of flattened pointed double-chamfered arches on tall octagonal piers with plain moulded capitals and bases. Pointed double-chamfered tower arch on chamfered responds with plain moulded capitals and bases. Pointed double-chamfered arch to south chapel with hoodmould and carved animal head stops, filleted shafted responds with plain moulded capitals and bases; hoodmould and head stops to inner face. Chapel has single sedilia with moulded ogee arch and a richly-crocketed hoodmould with finial and head stops; adjoining rounded cinquefoiled piscina with moulded reveal, restored bowl and blind quatrefoils in spandrels; double- chamfered reveal, moulded mullions, hoodmould and head stops to window. Pointed triple-chamfered chancel arch with continuous chamfers, single head stop on south side of east face; square-headed squint on south side of arch. Pointed double-chamfered arch between north aisle and north chapel (now organ-chamber/vestry). Chancel has wide segmental-pointed double-chamfered arch to chapel on octagonal responds with plain moulded capitals and bases; pointed wave-moulded north door; chamfered segmental-arched sedilia, pointed chamfered piscina and small square-headed aumbry to south. C19 roofs throughout, that to chancel with wall shafts carried on ornate carved stone corbels. Black marble floorslab in north chapel to Sir Mathew Appleyard (d1669) and his wife Frances (d1683) with marginal inscription and central roundel with arms and full achievement in relief. Floorslab alongside to Stephen Hatfield, Lord of Holderness, and his wife Elizabeth, with arms and indents for brasses. Marble and ashlar wall tablets in chancel: to Leonard and Ann Metcalf of 1749, with arms in cartouche; to Mathew Witham of 1790 on obelisk base; to Rev Henry Earl of 1870, with draped urn, by W D Keyworth of Hull. C12 cylindrical tub font with plain moulding to underside, cylindrical shaft, plain moulded base and circular stepped pedestal. C19 benches, pulpit. Unusual C17 Royal Arms hanging in north aisle with painting on reverse of beheading of Charles I and Latin verses condemming the wickedness of rebellion and regicide, made by vicar John Catlyn in 1676. Fragments of C15 glass from north aisle windows incorporated in chancel window surrounds. N Pevsner, The Buildings of England: Yorkshire, East Riding, 1978, pp 205-6; Victoria County History: York, East Riding, vol 5, 1984, p 19. H K Morris, The Church of All Saints, Burstwick, 1228-1978, 1978, 20pp.
Listing NGR: TA2277128032
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
Books and journals
Allison, K J, The Victoria History of the County of York: East Riding, (1984), 19
Morris, H K , The Church of All Saints Burstwick 1228-1978, (1978)
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Yorkshire - York and the East Riding, (1972), 205-206
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing