This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1366457



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.


District: Shropshire

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: Norton in Hales

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 10-Feb-1959

Date of most recent amendment: 05-Jun-1987

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 260428

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.



6/122 Brand Hall (formerly 10.2.59 listed as Brand Hall and Stables)


Small country house. Circa 1700, incorporating C17 core. Further altered in the mid-C18 and extended in the early C19. Minor late C19 alterations at rear and internally. Red brick with grey sandstone ashlar dressings. Some timber framing at rear with plastered infill. Plain tile roofs. Hipped slate roofs over early C19 wings. Irregular L- plan. 2 storeys and attic with 2-storey wings and rear wing. Chamfered plinth, chamfered quoins, moulded stone cornice, coped parapet with short balustraded sections in front of pair of hipped dormers with 2-light wooden casements, and parapeted gable ends with stone copings and integral brick end stacks with stone bands and caps. Giant Tuscan order of pilasters (without entasis) supporting short sections of entablature and large 3-bay triangular pediment with carved Styche arms flanked by swags in tympanum. 2:3:2 bays; glazing bar sashes (bars removed from ground- floor windows) with painted stone cills, gauged-brick heads and raised triple keystone with moulded top edge. Central 6-panelled door (upper 4 raised and fielded with beading and lower 2 beaded flush) with moulded wooden frame, and lugged moulded stone architrave supporting frieze and cornice. Flanking early C19 set-back 2-storey one-bay wings, each with dentil brick eaves cornice, (bricks on side) and deep eaves; glazing bar sashes (bars removed from ground-floor windows) with painted stone cills and gauged-brick heads. 2-bay right-hand return front, painted imitation sashes to first floor. 4-panelled door to right. Rear: central truncated timber framed gabled wing, underbuilt in painted brick. Irregular framing of former internal wall with angle braces and one blocked doorway with triangular-headed arch. Rendered gable set back to right with keyed lunette lighting staircase. Late C19 wing to left with service tower. Rear wing, south-west front: C17, remodelled in mid-C18. Dentil brick eaves cornice and parapeted gable end with stone coping and shaped kneelers. Integral brick end stack to left and brick ridge stack off- centre to right. 3 hipped dormers with 2-light wooden casements and moulded wooden eaves cornices. 4-pane sashes with gauged-brickheads (ground floor) and painted stone cills; 1:5 first-floor windows, 3 to left with blind boxes, and 3-ground-floor windows, second and third from left with boxes. Pair of doorways to right; left-hand one with half-glazed door, plain lugged surround and moulded cornice and right-hand one with glazed door, C18 lugged moulded architrave, frieze and cornice. Eaves raised at rear; truncated former external brick stack with pitched-roofed link to main root,and later encased on each side (see straight joints). C18 first-floor sash with keyed gauged head. Interior: some C17 work, mainly C18 and some late C19 alterations. Ground-floor right-hand (dining) room: early to mid-C18. Moulded plinth and dado rail, lugged plaster panels with acanthus ornament, reeded panels above doors, frieze and enriched plaster cornice. Enriched plaster ceiling with 6 panels. C19 wooden fireplace in a C17 style with surround, architrave frieze and cornice and C18 wooden overmantel consisting of panel with flanking quarter columns in angles, cornice with egg and dart enrichment and triang- ular pediment . Left-hand ground-floor (drawing) room: remodelled in the late C19 (see also bay to south-west). Cased beam. C19 fireplace with ogee-stopped moulded surrounds, pulvinated frieze with carved ornament and moulded cornice. Ground-floor rear room (rear wing): pair of mid- C17 ovolo-moulded spine beams with ogee stops. Large mid-C17 dressed grey sandstone open fireplace with chamfered reveals and chamfered wooden lintel, with mason's mitre to corners. Entrance wall: moulded plinth and dado rail, panelling with rounded top corners, and ceiling with 6 panels and enriched plaster cornice. Pair of elliptical archways at end of hall, each with moulded capitals, panelled soffits and spandrels,and acanthus ornament. Left-hand arch leads to rear wing and right-hand, to staircase. Dog-leg staircase of c.1700 with half-landing, closed string with pulvinated frieze, turned balusters, moulded handrail and square newels. Balustrade curving at foot of stairs and returning to pier of arch, and also returning as landing balustrade. Panelling to staircase and first floor. Lunette lighting half-landing (see exterior) with shield in glass. Pair of elliptical arches at head of stairs. Plaster ceiling rose. Left-hand first-floor rear room: mid-C17 fittings including oak panelling with fluted frieze,doors with 6 raised and fielded panels, and fireplace with overmantel consisting of 3 arches divided by pilasters. Cupboards with H-L hinges. 6-panelled doors throughout house with moulded architraves. The low floor to ceiling heights (espec- ially to the first floor) of the front range suggest that this too is a rebuilding of a timber framed range, albeit a comprehensive one. Brand Hall was formerly the family home of the Davison family. The styche arms in the pediment are probably a later addition as they were granted to Samuel Davison in 1737. William Baker carried out minor internal alterations for Robert Davison in 1756. In the early C19 Brand Hall was owned by Purney Sillitoe, John Soane's friend, and later by the Griffin family. The house stands within a small wooded park. B.o.E., pp 78-9; Colvin, p.84; H.E. Forrest, Some Old Shropshire Houses and their Owners, pp. 57-64.

Listing NGR: SJ6920638360

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Colvin, H M, A Biographical Dictionary of British Architects 1600-1840, (1978), 84
Forrest, H E , Some Old Shropshire Houses and their Owners, (1924), 57-64
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Shropshire, (1958), 78-9

National Grid Reference: SJ 69206 38360


© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1366457 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Oct-2017 at 09:59:49.

End of official listing