CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1366579
Date first listed:
26-Aug-1965
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, SCRATTA LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1366579.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Feb-2020 at 15:49:41.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, SCRATTA LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Derbyshire
District:
Bolsover (District Authority)
Parish:
Whitwell
National Grid Reference:
SK 54357 78727

Details

SK 57 NW; 2/174

PARISH OF WHITWELL, SCRATTA LANE, STEETLEY (South Side)

Church of All Saints

26.08.65

GV

I

Parish church. C12, C13, restoration 1876-80 by J. L. Pearson. Coursed squared sandstone with ashlar dressings. Plain tile roofs. Nave with south porch, chancel and semi-circular apse. 52 feet long by 15 feet wide. Essentially a mid-C12 building with minor alterations.

Moulded plinth. Corbel table with carved figures. The apse has a band of scrolly ornament linking the sills. Gabled bellcote at the east end of the nave, with a single round arch. Shallow south porch, the gable breaking above the eaves line. The porch was heavily restored by Pearson in 1880, when the church was roofless and overgrown. The portal has four orders of colonettes with much weathered carving of medallions and foliage scrolls. The arches decorated with zigzag and simplified beakhead. The latticework gable dates from 1880. Row of corbels across the gable. The south side of the nave has one tiny round-arched window. The south side of the chancel has a 3-light Dec window with geometrical tracery. The apse has three round-arched windows with nook shafts, cushion capitals and roll-moulded arches. The bays divided by pilaster buttresses. The north side of the chancel is blind and the north side of the nave has a blocked round-arched doorway and a broad round-arched window set high up. At the west end of the nave are two narrow round-arched windows set one above the other.

INTERIOR: Elaborately ornamented arches between nave and chancel and chancel and apse. Tunnel vault over the chancel and a rib vault over the apse. Transverse arch with three roll mouldings and two ridges. Two ribs to the apse vault of the same profile. The apse vault is supported on half-columns with carved capitals. Aumbry recess on the north side of the chancel. The font has a tapering square bowl on a square base with colonettes. Grave slab (north west corner of the nave) Anglo-Norman, with a representation of a chalice and paten resting on an altar and a blessing hand.

Listing NGR: SK5435678726

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
79343
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 17 Aug 2004
Reference: IOE01/13070/18
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr John G Hinchcliffe. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].